Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm F*****

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry what I forgot to add was that after all the plugs dried we got spark from each side two at a time so I know they are all working properly and its getting spark so its gotta be the cam.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:37 PM
10 Second Club

Cam 180 off? Not possible, if it looks like it is, just keep turning the crank and after 1 revolution everything will be lined up like it's supposed to be. You could in theory put the crank dot at 12 o'clock, and the cam dot at 12 o'clock, 1 turn on the crank , and the crank will be back at 12, and the cam at 6.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I never did TDC so after checking through many other possabilites that is about my last option and thats what I'm going to do.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Detroitmuscle
Sorry what I forgot to add was that after all the plugs dried we got spark from each side two at a time so I know they are all working properly and its getting spark so its gotta be the cam.
Just cause you get a spark doesn't mean that that spark is happening at the right time (backwards coils). Hence the back fire.
If the plugs didn't spark at first and then they did after drying out then they are fouled and are no longer any good.
This is my last post in this thread and its obvious you don't want to listen to everyone trying to help you so have fun tearing your motor down again.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Detroitmuscle - Did you actually switch the coil packs from the passenger side (4 per bank) to the driver side to eliminate the possibility of an ignition misfire? If not you should. Also, you should have someone check for any trouble codes (pending or history) and post them if any show up.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
its obvious you don't want to listen to everyone trying to help you so have fun tearing your motor down again.
Couldn't have said it better myself. You need to listen.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hooked up my HPtuners and the only code I got was for the A/C clutch and I don't know what that would be. I don't however think'd it effect the car starting. I kept the coil packs on seperate parts of the car when I took them off, so your saying you want me to still switch them from passenger side to driver side? I know they are on the side they started on and I didn't think that I would have to switch them thats why I never did it. Sorry if it doesn't appear as though I'm listening but I checked the damn electrical up and down.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok well this will settle it, I already drained my coolant and removed the crank bolt so I'm not gonna turn back now to try the coil pack thing. I will just have to remove the water pump and the timing cover, not everything, and see where the dots are. Once everything is back together I will try to start it again. If that doesn't do it then I will switch the coil packs from driver side to passenger and visa versa. Thanks for all the help guys and hopefully this will be it.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, but you realise that a cam cannot be off 180 degrees. You can put the dots lining up at 6 and 12 or you can do it at 12 and 12. It won't matter. Now if you have something like 12 and 3 you have some issues. Your cam could be ground severely wrong and i suppose it could cause your issues.

Basically what I'm saying is if the cam is ground correctly and you haven't messed with the crank sprocket (which would be set at tdc from the factory) and you have the dots lined up it will run normally. Do you have your a/c belt on?
Old 02-24-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes I have the ac belt on but I'll have to recheck it out. What I meant by being 180 degrees off is that, since the crank gear dot is a 12 o'clock both at tdc and bdc that I installed it while it was at bdc. The install guide on LS1howto.com does not specify being at TDC at all and thats is where I might have gone wrong. Unless it doesn't matter, which is weird to me.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you have your maf plugged in? once i started my car without it and it did some f'ed up stuff including back fire.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah it was connected as well.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:33 PM
Launching!

I had my mechanic friends working on mine so it's a bit fuzzy how the fix went.
Here it goes. At first I think they unplugged one side of coils from the harness to verify the one that was backwards. If it didn't backfire when one perticular side was unplugged you have narrowed it down to the problem side. I believe that once they dissconnected the bad side, it tried to run without backfiring. They then removed the one whole bad side of coils bracket and all.The order of the coils mounted on the bracket was reversed thereofore firing out of order.When you switch from 98 to newer heads there can be issues switching over the coil packs.After they reversed the packs,they bolted in the braket and it FIRED RIGHT UP!
I'm with the other on the whole "if the dots are lined up it can't be wrong",but that's why I have mechanic friends.
I will try to get him to come in and read my message and correct my mistakes as needed.

Jay
Old 02-24-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

READ THIS CAREFULLY. Any time the crank dot is at 12 oclock it is at TDC. For the piston to be at BDC the crank dot has to be at 6:00. Only when the cam is installed does it determine if it is at TDC on the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK well then I won't remove the water pump and I'll switch the coil packs after I reassemble the crank bolt and fill it with fluids. Thanks again for the help guys, I definatly am learning a lot. .
Old 02-24-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Detroitmuscle - Did you actually switch the coil packs from the passenger side (4 per bank) to the driver side to eliminate the possibility of an ignition misfire? If not you should. Also, you should have someone check for any trouble codes (pending or history) and post them if any show up.

Why is this? I've never heard of anyone switching the coil packs from the passenger side to the drivers side, to prevent misfires. How does this help?
Old 02-24-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hell I dunno either but its definatly worth a shot especially since I've ruled out the mechaincal.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Why is this? I've never heard of anyone switching the coil packs from the passenger side to the drivers side, to prevent misfires. How does this help?
Please read the previous posts. Some who posted suspected he accidently swapped the ignition coils on the install and he should switch them because this could be causing the coils to fire out sequence leading to the backfire condition.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

It doesn't matter if the coils are on the left or right.
What i meant by "backwards" is that when you put the coils back on you could have put them on backwards as in front to back and back to front. I don't remember seeing numbers on the ones i've messed with but i do remember that the coil that has the longest wire connecting it to the coils plup (the white one) goes towards the back (#8) on the passenger side and towards the front on the drivers side (#1).
Old 02-24-2006, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Detroitmuscle
Yes I have the ac belt on but I'll have to recheck it out. What I meant by being 180 degrees off is that, since the crank gear dot is a 12 o'clock both at tdc and bdc that I installed it while it was at bdc. The install guide on LS1howto.com does not specify being at TDC at all and thats is where I might have gone wrong. Unless it doesn't matter, which is weird to me.
I no that others have already pointed this out but if you learn one thing from this thread please understand that when the crank dot is at 12:00 the #1 cylinder is at top dead center. It is impossible for the crank gear to have the dot at 12:00 and #1 be on BDC.