Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm F*****

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK well I just hooked up some 02 coil packs just as they were on that car and it did nothing at all, so does that mean my coil packs are fine then? If I remove one of the pushrods will there be and wear on it or damage that would be a dead give-a-way that they are too big?
Old 02-25-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oops sorry double post.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

a compression or leakdown test would tell you if the valves weren't closing. even a 5 dollar vacuum gauge will tell you. did you take the crank sprocket off for any reason?knowing that messing with the coils moves the backfire around, that should tell you that the timing is off. check the schematic provided in a few previous posts and ensure that each coil, in the right spot, has the correct color going to its wiring harness. you need to have to hp tuners hooked up to the car while you do this. that should've been the first thing you did. the data display section is your best friend. and the plugs being wet WILL foul them out. wet plugs normally will not fire.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
the plugs being wet WILL foul them out. wet plugs normally will not fire.
So true. My car would just crank and not start. Checked everything, so I switched to new plugs and it started right up.

Detroitmuscle - As others mentioned you should install some new plugs just to make sure. Might as well try your old plug wires while you're at it.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Detroitmuscle
OK well I just hooked up some 02 coil packs just as they were on that car and it did nothing at all, so does that mean my coil packs are fine then? If I remove one of the pushrods will there be and wear on it or damage that would be a dead give-a-way that they are too big?
Probiably not. If they are just a hair too long it will hold the valves open. Too short and it would probiably just cause a ton of noise but the car would have started. Like I said in my prior post check them out. I tell you how you need to check them out in the post. Also, replace the plugs like others have said.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok I'll put my old plugs back in there and give it another try, then if it doesn't fire I'll do a compression test.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:21 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

you still haven't fixed this. check this timing coil harness to cyl config,
Old 02-25-2006, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Detroitmuscle
OK well I just hooked up some 02 coil packs just as they were on that car and it did nothing at all, so does that mean my coil packs are fine then?
If it did not backfire at all. then your coil pacs were the problem. keep those 02 coil pacs on and put new plugs in cause your are fouled out from all that gas.
When coil pacs are on wrong the car back fires.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it did not backfire at all. then your coil pacs were the problem. keep those 02 coil pacs on and put new plugs in cause your are fouled out from all that gas.
Ok will do.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
there you go, good advice.....

you swapped out your old coils and put in a set that does work or have definite proof that work and you get NO backfire. Well, that should be a indication that you might have your problem. A soiled plug will not hit, it might spark a bit but not enough for a clean combustion of the fuel/air mixture.

Also, it was mentioned that your PR might be an issue, not to mention that a lifter unloaded will not be helpful at all.

Get those plugs swapped. Also try your new set of wires (your old set actually). A good set of msd wires aren't that expensive and worth the cashola. See what she will do with the new coils. You can do a leakdown test but hold until nothing else works..

good luck, im in some trouble too brotha so you getting her started will gelp me out a whole lot!!!
Old 02-25-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man I will try to get it going to help you out too.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK guys well my dad got back from vacation today and we were looking over my car for anything in particular before trying the old plugs. He mentioned that I should try to test it for compression (like mentioned earlier in this thread) and that he had a meter so we tested it out and, got nothing. So do you guys think my pushrods are too long? What size are the stock pushrods? Could I put those in and try to fire it up just to see if thats the problem?
Old 02-27-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stock pushrods are 7.4 and I would not put stock pushrods in w/ a cam. You might be creating in more problems if you try that?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:29 PM
10 Second Club

The valves must be staying opened if you are getting no compression. That aint right.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude where in MI do you live? I've done cam swaps a few times and have been modding 4th gens for about 8 years now, I could probably come over and help you this weekend. Might cost you some beer and pizza though, and probably some doritos if the car is outside and i have to freeze my nuts off.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I replaced one of the sets with the stock ones and did another compression test and voila compression. The pushrods were 7.425s and definatly holding the valves open, definatly my mistake and I'm lucky I didn't break anything. I live in Shelby Twp and the help would be nice, but I hope to have it fired up today because changing out the pushrods was pretty easy but thanks for the offer.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:58 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this the Lithium contender thread?
Old 02-28-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey don't leave your stockers in there you will bend them spinning it high, go buy some hardened ones that are the right length and finish it right! Let me know if you still have problems you arent too far away.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't intend on leaving the stock ones in it, just wanna see if it will fire up. I need to know if its just the pushrods before I go ordering parts.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

Well, contact ET and get them to send you another set of pushrods. They should overnight them being it was their bad, and you just mail the others back. Maybe they were mispackaged or like I said maybe the heads aren't exactly what they thought they were or you, (heads mispackaged) and have alittle shaved off the deck. Eithor way I'm glad you figured out the problem and hopefully it didn't tear anything up inside the motor. AND USE THAT GUIDE I TYPED UP EARLIER! Figure out how much preload you were putting on the lifters with the pushrods you got from ET. Must not be too awful long. Probiably going down .025 or .05 will solve the problem. But you have to check.