Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help after cam install!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help after cam install!

I just installed a TR224 112LSA cam this weekend and now I have a tapping sound from the drivers side. I've retorqued down the rockers 3 times after rotating 180 degrees each pass. I started the car up last night and everything sounded ok, but I never drove it. I went back out today and noticed a tapping coming from under the valve cover, so I let it run for a while and drove it for about a mile, staying under 3000K RPMs and it didnt have much *** to it at all. I think its missing out on a cylinder. When I got home I took the valve cover back off and looked around and bumped the engine around to see if anything was loose hoping i didnt have a bad lifter. I retorqued again and still had same sound. My old cam looked great so I really dont understand whats going on. I know it still needs tuned but this wouldn'd cause it to have a dead cylinder. If anyone has had this problem please help!
Old 02-25-2006, 04:41 PM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Why do you think it has a dead cylinder? It didn't before. Check your springs. Do your pushrods look OK? Do you have an exhaust leak. Believe it or not, an exhaust leak sounds like a ticking noise.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:48 PM
Launching!

i agree check your springs and for exhast leak cause both happend to me and both sounds just alike
Old 02-25-2006, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Im about to take another stab at it. The car ran perfect before the cam swap and only has 27K on it. Ill pull the pushrods and make sure thier not bent, they are new from thunderracing, but u never know. What do u mean by checking the springs? They are also new comp 918's with titanium retainers. Can they not seat correctly on the head or something? When I drove it, it seemed as to have no power, but i know the timing was on thier marks. I'll double check on the exhaust leak but i really think is in the valvetrain. I also pick up a lazer thermostat so i can check each exhaust tube and see if its not fire'n on a cylinder. I let u guys know, thanks for the help and keep the suggestions coming!
Old 02-26-2006, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

Car is fixed! I took off all drivers side rockers, cradle, and pushrods and checked out everything, then reinstalled them. I did findout that I had a dead cylinder. The main pigtail going to the coil pack had pushed back on on one of the internal pins and caused a coil not to fire. Car runs great now! Thanks for your sugggestions and support!!!