Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crank pulley came off, threadlocker?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I really don't like the idea of loctite on the threads, its not called for in the manual. With a new pulley and bolt, proper tightening procedure, I think you put yourself at risk of later problems if you have to disassemble again. Just my opinion though.
Yeah, I think Id rather deal with a stubborn bolt than have my bolt come out again, Andy at A&A used red loctite when he did my first cam, and it came out without much hassle, it would REALLY have to be in there to shear the head off bringing it out.

ilirw325 "I hit the 240 lb ft. with my 250 lb torque wrench and then 37 lb ft. and then got between 100 and 140 extra degrees with out any problems"

Are you saying you torqued it to 240 ft lbs, THEN another 100, and 140 degrees? Each pass separate or 240 degrees beyond the RECOMMENDED 240 ft lbs? Thats the way Im reading it, if thats the case youre REALLY strong, and lucky you didnt shear the head of your bolt off.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

No, he's saying he got the pulley torqued down the 240 ft/lb with the old bolt, took it out, put the new bolt in, tq to 37 ft/lb and then the 140 degrees on that one.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You really need the service manual procedure. Do you have access to a manual?
Old 03-01-2006, 06:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Importdestroyer
Are you referring to the crank pulley? Balancer? Well it inched forward about an inch and rested on the steering rack, the belt wasnt frayed.

Where did you get the pinning tool from? I want to pin my crank pulley too, but dont know how.
The balancer/crank pulley backed off. We tightenend with the old bolt, then used a new bolt for the install, but must not have torqued it enough.
I posted a request on the forum, and one of the guys was cool enough to let me borrow his for the shipping cost ($10 for both ways) I bought a pin for a buck.
There's nothing to pinning it (as long as your drill bit is sharp)15-20min once you get to it.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vettenuts
You really need the service manual procedure. Do you have access to a manual?
No I dont. Whats the procedure?

So is it 100, 120, or 140 degrees past 37 ft lbs?
Old 03-01-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

140 degrees on a stock pulley. I've done over 30 that way with no locktite and have never had one loosen.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No I dont. Whats the procedure?
Shoot me an e-mail, I will try to scan in that page tonight.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

ilirw325 "I hit the 240 lb ft. with my 250 lb torque wrench and then 37 lb ft. and then got between 100 and 140 extra degrees with out any problems"

Are you saying you torqued it to 240 ft lbs, THEN another 100, and 140 degrees? Each pass separate or 240 degrees beyond the RECOMMENDED 240 ft lbs? Thats the way Im reading it, if thats the case youre REALLY strong, and lucky you didnt shear the head of your bolt off.
I torqued the bolt exactly as it says in my GM manual. I torqued the old Bolt to 240 lb ft. Took it out. Put the new one in torqued it to 37 lb ft. and then marked a line on the head and turned it another 140 degrees to strech the bolt to its yield point. No problems.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:21 PM
11 Second Club

well.... at least you dont own a god damn corvette....

just got my 408 installed..

new bolt, torqued it down like in the manual, loaded it up with red loctite did everything according to the specs posted on this site...

bolt backed out... crank pulley came out and rubbed into my power steering rack and wore two 1/8 holes in it... my steering rack must now be replaced (990 dollars from the dealership) and im not real happy about it... stupid POS damn crank pulley's....
Old 03-03-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I have a hard time believing that bolt would come out if you used the instructions from LS1Howto (or that are posted in this thread) as well as put loctite on. I've had mine off and on so many times using the stated sequence never using loctite and never had a problem. Are you sure you did it properly, it's easy to overlook something (like just putting the old bolt back in and torquing it to 240).
Old 03-03-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Our torquing methods were in question, no tq wrench, just a lot of pressure with 1.5 ft of extension on it.
I'm sorry but WTF IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE ???

The guy didn't even use a torque wrench to begin with...end of story...

Next time, do exactly what the manual says: Torque it down to 240 with old bolt, remove it, thread in the NEW bolt, torque it to 37, followed by additional 100-140 degrees, minding that the flywheel might spin, so you have to disregard those degrees.

FOLLOW the priocedure, and you won't have issues with cranks falling off....this is terrible.....MORON !

I'm sorry this is my first rant ever....I'm a very calm guy...but people...follow simple instructions...don't try to be too inventive...torque specs are there for a reason - engineered reason....
Old 03-03-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

i work at a dealership here in detroit. its funny actually none of the guys replace the bolt besides me. but none of us torque it down. 1/2 inch impact and its good. i'd say we have prob done over 1000 ls engines this way without a bolt ever coming loose
Old 03-03-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Loc-tite 262 and used a 1/2" impact with 145psi line pressure and ran it down until it wouldnt turn it no more. Its not by the book but we were tight on time and done it anyway and hadnt thought about it since.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AdamSS
I'm sorry but WTF IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE ???

The guy didn't even use a torque wrench to begin with...end of story...

Next time, do exactly what the manual says: Torque it down to 240 with old bolt, remove it, thread in the NEW bolt, torque it to 37, followed by additional 100-140 degrees, minding that the flywheel might spin, so you have to disregard those degrees.

FOLLOW the priocedure, and you won't have issues with cranks falling off....this is terrible.....MORON !

I'm sorry this is my first rant ever....I'm a very calm guy...but people...follow simple instructions...don't try to be too inventive...torque specs are there for a reason - engineered reason....
lol, yeah Im a moron. I used to work on the AH-1 P, and OH-58 D Kiowa Warrior's armament/avionic systems for 8 years, Ive completely rebuilt my 99 Suzuki Hayabusa from scratch, did all the work on my 98 TA, and all the work on my Z thus far, I KNOW HOW TO USE A ******* TORQUE WRENCH.

Sounds like youre european or just had 1 too many, here in a america we spell procedure the way I just did. MORON. Yeah hopefully that was your last rant ever.

My buddy has done 3 cam swaps, without mishap, a lot of people without a tq wrench within the specified range, do just tighten the hell out of the crank bolt. Unfortunately, the thread locker we used was a high temp thread sealant, which may have been the problem. We got threadlocker this time around.

Quick Reply: crank pulley came off, threadlocker?