Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR, ETP, etc vs. PRC (Texas Speed) w/ LS6 Cam...??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by greenwood
not to say anything bad tony why do the afr 205 need say 32-33* total
and a pos 5.7 may only take 28 -29 to make the same power
BOTH of my combinations like timing at WOT in the high 20's for the most part....30' for a small portion of the curve. That is not a good indicator of what makes a good or bad street head.

I spoke with a reputable tuner/engine builder recently who told me that he recently had the opportunity to try a set of AFR 205's and the outcome was a little more overall power on his dyno versus the same set-up with ported factory castings he has dyno'ed time and time again....BUT, he said on the street the SOTP is incredible and the car feels (and is) a lot faster. He was so blown away by the actual real world results he is now an AFR dealer and I believe plans to use our heads for most of his LS powered vehicles in the future. He was also very impressed with the quality of the castings as well as the CNC porting.

Guys...a 346 CID engine does NOT need a big runner and in fact prefers a much smaller cross section to make good power thru out the entire curve...the fact the heads reach 300 CFM while maintaining that small cross section just makes that scenario even sweeter by providing enough airflow to produce around 600 flywheel HP if the combination is set-up effectively (my mild 346 put up 550 on a SuperFlow 902 Engine dyno). It really is about the best have your cake and eat it to scenario when it comes to powering a dual purpose 350-400 inch street/strip car.

You can either subscribe to the high velocity port theory or not....its certainly your choice. The bottom line is that everyone is trying to convince you that their product is the better way (no different than myself) and it is certainly not easy to chose when everyone is pulling you in different directions. There is alot more to the science of making power than looking at flow numbers....not to mention that trying to do that without having data from the same equipment is another useless exercise anyway.

This application is screaming AFR 205....as is ANY other heavy vehicle wanting a broad focused efficient power curve, and usable power and Tq gains in the part of the tach you spend most of your time driving a vehicle like the Caddy CTSV....

Till next time,
Tony M.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

uhhh, what he said