Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal shavings in engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98camaroLS1M6
My oil pressure is 10-15psi lower than normal but it is not dangerously low(30-35psi warm) does not fluctuate. Engine runs perfect except for the occational hesitation off idle. So I guess a bearing it is starting to go?
If you wanna save the crank STOP driving it NOW!
pull it out and i bet one rod bearing is about to spin. aslong as it doesn't spin on the crank you can usually save the crank.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
If you wanna save the crank STOP driving it NOW!
pull it out and i bet one rod bearing is about to spin. aslong as it doesn't spin on the crank you can usually save the crank.
Is this hesitation a sign of a rod bearing about to spin?
Old 03-06-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Any other opinions?
Old 03-06-2006, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

what cam?
Old 03-06-2006, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

Is this hesitation a sign of a rod bearing about to spin?
doubt it.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HALLZ
what cam?
custom comp cam 236/236
Old 03-07-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Last week is when I noticed the metal shavings (easily visible) on the dipstick, changed the oil, and there seem to be less and less on the dipstick now, to the point where I almost cannot see them, that is how small they are. Engine still runs well, should I still be worried? Still a possibility something could go wrong, but if I flushed most of the metal out by changing the oil and driving at low rpms, am I OK? SUX2B2 told me to stop driving, but I am still hoping that it is not a rod bearing or main bearing ready to go.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi Phil
I have not seen anything on the type of metal i.e.: Aluminum, steel or iron (use a magnet to see if you pick it up), etc. What type of metal shavings??? That will be the only way you somewhat know what is going on.
Thanks
Bill
Old 03-07-2006, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bill's 02 Z-28 SS
Hi Phil
I have not seen anything on the type of metal i.e.: Aluminum, steel or iron (use a magnet to see if you pick it up), etc. What type of metal shavings??? That will be the only way you somewhat know what is going on.
Thanks
Bill
but lately I have found metal flakes which stick to a magnet(Not aluminum), from the dipstick.
A bearing is the only thing this could be. when mine did this it started slightly knocking when i would accelerate ONLY. so i thought it was something else. maye a cracked flywheel. pulled everything off and it was still there. Then i checked the oil and saw shavings on the dipstick. puled the motor and there were metal shavings all in it. one bearing was about to spin but haden't YET. i was able to save the crank. and use it to build another motor.
Having aluminum shavings in the motor from f;lycuting is probably what caused it. i think thats what caused mine. i had some custom valve cover i had just put on but didn't clean them off very good. they had aluminum shavings in them from grinding on them.
a couple days after i put them on my oil pressure was quite a bit lower than normal. couple days later take it to the track and it starts knocking on the way home.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah if those flycut shavings cut stuck in between the bearings and moving parts, youre screwed
Old 03-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Banned

I don't see how flycut shavings could get into the oil pan, unless it was done at assembly. There is only two paths for flycut shavings to go 1) back into the intake which is unlikely and 2) out the exhaust.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Banned

There is really no why to know unless you or someone else takes a look at it. Why don't you take it to a reputable mechanic and ask his opinion. He may not even charge you to just listen to the motor while its running. If he is any good, he'll know right away from the sound what the problem is. Regardless, you need to do something about it now. Putting it off and hoping the problem will go away is likely to make it much worse.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

Definitely taking it to a guy/friend that has been building ls1 engines since 97'.
Whatever it is, it is a big problem and will cost big$$$. Not lokking foward to this. Thanks guys.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
A bearing is the only thing this could be. when mine did this it started slightly knocking when i would accelerate ONLY. so i thought it was something else. maye a cracked flywheel. pulled everything off and it was still there. Then i checked the oil and saw shavings on the dipstick. puled the motor and there were metal shavings all in it. one bearing was about to spin but haden't YET. i was able to save the crank. and use it to build another motor.
Having aluminum shavings in the motor from f;lycuting is probably what caused it. i think thats what caused mine. i had some custom valve cover i had just put on but didn't clean them off very good. they had aluminum shavings in them from grinding on them.
a couple days after i put them on my oil pressure was quite a bit lower than normal. couple days later take it to the track and it starts knocking on the way home.
I have no metal shavings in my oil. My engine is knocking and shaking like a scared chihuahua. I ran it hard knowing I had a bad tranny mount. the car died and the knocking and the shaking started. It will not idle. I though I floated a valve but its way too loud. Could it be a cracked flywheel? Sorry for the thread jack?>
Old 03-07-2006, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6spdpewterZ
I have no metal shavings in my oil. My engine is knocking and shaking like a scared chihuahua. I ran it hard knowing I had a bad tranny mount. the car died and the knocking and the shaking started. It will not idle. I though I floated a valve but its way too loud. Could it be a cracked flywheel? Sorry for the thread jack?>
sit there and put it in gear and take it out of gear a bunch if you hear it more when you do that, then its probably a cracked flywheel.
BUT that wouldn't really make it shake excecivly or not idle. so youer problem is else where.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 408WS6
I don't see how flycut shavings could get into the oil pan, unless it was done at assembly. There is only two paths for flycut shavings to go 1) back into the intake which is unlikely and 2) out the exhaust.
actually if you ever pulled a head on an LS1 and look at it , right above the cylinders are the lifters. if they didn't tape the lifter area off thats exactly how all the shgavings got in the oil pan.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Banned

Oh

I didn't realize that you had to pull the head off to flycut the piston.

I figured to do it right you had to completely disassemble the entire engine and flycut the pistons on an end mill.

Hmmmm.....did someone use a dremel tool???
Old 03-09-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Talked to buddy of mine and he said it is most likely a thrust bearing and not to worry about it until something serious happens. Engine will not have to be rebuilt but crank refurbished. Should i get this fixed soon or wait? Personally, I would feel safer getting this done soon.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

Talked to buddy of mine and he said it is most likely a thrust bearing and not to worry about it until something serious happens. Engine will not have to be rebuilt but crank refurbished. Should i get this fixed soon or wait? Personally, I would feel safer getting this done soon.
Most of the cranks that have a rod bearing spin on them are trash.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Junkie

OK here is a method for checking if you have any loose main bearings in the motor. Make sure the engine is full of oil....Then when you are out driving lug the motor in high gear at lower rpms. If the oil pressure goes down when the rpms start to go up you possibly got a bad main. After climbing a few RPMs take your foot completely off the throttle. If the pressure climbs for an instant you have a loose main. A rod bearing is unfortunately a little harder to detect until you hear the infamous knocking, but odds are if you have a loose rod bearing you have also probably got some main wear.

My 99 camaro developed this issue at very high mileage after heavy nitrous abuse, but never spun any bearing. I sold it with 114,000 miles and it still ran like very well.

If you perform the above test and determine there is main wear just realize your engine is probably not going to survive many further high RPM runs.

As someone has mentioned take a magnet to those shavings. If they are alum id just change the oil quickly a few times and monitor, but avoid repeated high rpm runs until you determine the engine is ok....

Quick Reply: Metal shavings in engine