Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help. Come In. Exhaust Leak Question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 01:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Help. Come In. Exhaust Leak Question.

Ok I finally tried to start my 94 rx-7 today with a 2002 ls1 motor in it. I tried starting it a few times, but it would not turn over. I checked the fuel pressure and it was around 58 psi and I could hear the fuel pump working. I tried cranking again, and same result. By now I ate up the battery, so I bring out the voltmeter and notice I have no ignition power. Miracle to get an engine to run with no juice. Well anyways, I jump started it, as the battery was dead by now, and hoila the car fired right up. It was loud and the idle jump around. I got out of the car, looked at the engine and notice that black 'stuff' was leaking from the headers where it bolts up to the engine block. (I then found out that I forgot to put the exhaust gaskets on )

Aside from the exhaust leak, is it normal for the engine to be spitting out black liquidy stuff like that? The black stuff, didn't feel rough, so there isn't any metal in it. Oil pressure was registering at 45ish when it was idling. I'm assuming it's normal as the engine hasn't been started for a while, and has probably built up some carbon deposits and condensation.

Any thoughts what it might be?

Mods are trex cam, ported tb, tsp valvesprings, asp pulley, jtr longtubes, jtr intake, textralia clutch, and hptuners
Old 03-04-2006, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Probably carbon deposits mixed with gas from all that cranking and no starting you did.

Must have sounded real interesting without exhaust gaskets.