Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads/Cam vs. Nitrous help me decide!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 01:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heads/Cam vs. Nitrous help me decide!!

Ok guys here is the lowdown, i've been wanting to do my H/C for a while, ( cam this summer POSSIBLY heads also, but more than likely next year ) and i've kinda been building my car for it ( added ls6 intake, full exhaust etc. ) well a guy i know who use to have a 10 sec. ls1 kind of got me interested in nitrous the other day, so i'm kinda tore right now. ( i'd love to purge on some fools but then again, cams sound sick!! haha ) so help me out what would you do, my engine has 140k miles but still runs GREAT as if it had 50k and it's a m6. if i go the cam route i'm going to get the TSP 233/239 and if i do decide nitrous definately going wet. tell me what you guys think ( also if i do go cam first, is that specific one nitrous friendly for later )
Old 03-05-2006, 03:09 AM
Launching!

I would consider some rebuilding either way.
I don't know if YOU plan on trying to run 10's but at 140k miles, I wouldn't be spraying much without alot of supporting mods and a rebuild.

If you really want to go fast, a better path would be a good cam that works well with spray, supporting mods, and a healthy pill of Nitrous.

But like I said... at 140k miles, I would at least poke around the engine, maybe take the heads off and inspect everything before doing more than a 100 shot.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:18 AM
TECH Addict

i was in there last weekend, all looked alright. not planning on going 10's really but i'd like an 11 second car as it's my daily driver and mostly used on the street. i was originally planning on staying N/A and just doing the cam ( think i might go that route, idk though ) but after reading and seeing that nitrous is pretty safe i'm not sure now.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:28 AM
Teching In

with that many miles i would suggest takin the money, buying a used shortblock (they be cheap) then building that up

if the car is your dd and only car, doing stuff to it that could blow it up and make it a 3600 lb paper weight wouldnt be very smart

just my .02

robb
Old 03-05-2006, 03:46 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cam only with 140k on the clock would be pushing it IMO.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:44 AM
Launching!

/agree
It'd suck to spend $xxxx and the blow the thing... then you've got nothing to drive and a couple grand to spend before you can even drive again.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Go with the nitrous. Its cheaper, faster, easier to install, does not require many supporting mods, adjustable,less maintenance, and will only be beating on your 140k mile engine when you have it armed and floored. I did heads and cam after I did nitrous and it costed way more, and was much more work, for less HP.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would perform a compression test on all cylinders and leak down test to see what I was working with. Go from there.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

It's hard to say if it will blow anything. one of my friends has 150k+ on his car and has been taking it to the track since it was brand new (98). He still has an untouched bottom end H/C and has bad a 100 shot up to it for probably 50k miles on it. he just jumped up to a 150. thing still runs strong.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

^^ yeah, i know there is a cammed 180k engine on here, an old man had my car before me so it wasn't beat up on ( for the most part i'm assuming ) like i said i've never had any problems and the way i look at it there is no use in fixing or rebuilding the thing if nothing is wrong with it. but it is in the back of my mind and i've got some $ saved just in case either way. a cam only setup wouldn't beat up on the engine too bad would it? i know nitrous would be a little harsher, but it wouldn't be ran all the time. i might get a compression test done as suggested just to see what i'm working with, good idea.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Common sense supports Doveman. Besides, you could have the short block in the garage and collect all the supporting parts you can afford until you have the time to do an engine swap. If you build a 10-11 sec car with a new short block and your old motor still runs when you pull it out...you've got a back up motor for your DD. (not mentioning spare rear ends )
Originally Posted by Doveman
with that many miles i would suggest takin the money, buying a used shortblock (they be cheap) then building that up

if the car is your dd and only car, doing stuff to it that could blow it up and make it a 3600 lb paper weight wouldnt be very smart

just my .02

robb
Old 03-05-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ssheets
Common sense supports Doveman. Besides, you could have the short block in the garage and collect all the supporting parts you can afford until you have the time to do an engine swap. If you build a 10-11 sec car with a new short block and your old motor still runs when you pull it out...you've got a back up motor for your DD. (not mentioning spare rear ends )
as cool and as good as an idea as that is, i couldn't afford to keep a backup motor just sitting there it would have to be sold or something for the cash. i'll be heading back to school next fall and working also but as you can imagine money will be tight. how much do shortblocks usually run and all the supporting parts you're referring to, just curious as to get an idea of where i'm standing...
Old 03-05-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well if the car is your daily driver and you goals are to finish school (a good goal) I think you may be wise to stick to bolt ons and maybe a mild cam for reliability with a nice deep exhaust note. Finish school and get set for a non DD car.

Sorry to sound like a dad
Old 03-05-2006, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

cam + Nos that is the best way to go
Old 03-05-2006, 04:53 PM
12 Second Club

i just did a custom cam to my 140K motor in my 98 camaro. I completely tore the SOB down checked wear etc to assure myself that everything would work. Some of the bottom end still looks like its brand new. So far so good but if you do an engine build up you are gonna want it OUT of the car on a stand. head swaps suck in the car and i still am running the stock 853 so just imagin i haveta do it again!
Old 03-05-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Well if the car is your daily driver and you goals are to finish school (a good goal) I think you may be wise to stick to bolt ons and maybe a mild cam for reliability with a nice deep exhaust note. Finish school and get set for a non DD car.

Sorry to sound like a dad
alot better than the 3rd shift supervisor at work ( i work 2nds ) he told me going back to school was stupid, and that i should be so lucky to have the job i have now, i said sorry but i have goals in life and want to better myself. His response? " i had all my goals accomplished before i was your age son " i'm 19, under my breath i mumbled what was your dream get your GED and drive a ****** car...wtf. that guys a moron.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:55 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know. Old men can stick beat the snot out of a car, just like a teenager.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
alot better than the 3rd shift supervisor at work ( i work 2nds ) he told me going back to school was stupid, and that i should be so lucky to have the job i have now, i said sorry but i have goals in life and want to better myself. His response? " i had all my goals accomplished before i was your age son " i'm 19, under my breath i mumbled what was your dream get your GED and drive a ****** car...wtf. that guys a moron.
Now that there is funny, I don't care who you are.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:46 AM
TECH Addict

Now that there is funny, I don't care who you are.
you have no idea how bad i wanted to say it to his face.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
I don't know. Old men can stick beat the snot out of a car, just like a teenager.
yes i agree, but from how the car runs and everything it's a safe guess that it was well taken care of, the paint is flawless and the interior is too,that is the only reason i go to that assumption plus the fact that he was older really lessens the possibility that it was "beat up" on. i think someone who takes care of the car in general appearance wise that well generally does teh same for the engine.