Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A bunch of Morel Lifter Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default A bunch of Morel Lifter Questions

Well, just received confirmation from Thunder that my lifter order has shipped. I imagine anyone else who has them on order is likely going to receive them soon as well, so these questions may be timely. So now it is time for the rubber to meet the road. I have a bunch of questions on these lifters. I plan to install them when I do my Dart 205 heads along with Crane 1.7 rockers. I am running a VHP cam with 216/224 .551/.551 115 LSA. I don't plan to rev over 6,200 RPM or raise the stock rev limiter. Here are my questions:

1. How quiet are these lifters compared to stock at the recommended 0.030 preload?

2. What preload are you running?

3. The recommended preload is 0.030 hot, what are the consequences of running more preload, for instance 0.060?

4. What needs to be done for installation? (Clean them with what, soak in oil, pre-lube, etc.) Note that I don't want to pump them hard by packing with oil so it messes up my rocker adjustment.

5. Any other installation tips appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Well, just received confirmation from Thunder that my lifter order has shipped. I imagine anyone else who has them on order is likely going to receive them soon as well, so these questions may be timely. So now it is time for the rubber to meet the road. I have a bunch of questions on these lifters. I plan to install them when I do my Dart 205 heads along with Crane 1.7 rockers. I am running a VHP cam with 216/224 .551/.551 115 LSA. I don't plan to rev over 6,200 RPM or raise the stock rev limiter. Here are my questions:

1. How quiet are these lifters compared to stock at the recommended 0.030 preload?

2. What preload are you running?

3. The recommended preload is 0.030 hot, what are the consequences of running more preload, for instance 0.060?

4. What needs to be done for installation? (Clean them with what, soak in oil, pre-lube, etc.) Note that I don't want to pump them hard by packing with oil so it messes up my rocker adjustment.

5. Any other installation tips appreciated.

Thanks.
Noisy at first, may take around 20 minutes for lifters hyd valving to "seat" after that they are just about as quiet as OEM's, some have said they feel they are better then OEM's.

Morel recommends .030".

Plunger movement is a total of around .143". All you will be doing is sacrificing a little power.

Soak in oil for at least 8 hours. Good idea to take finger and roll rollers while submerged in oil.

Just enjoy...
Old 03-05-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks Chris. I was curious about the preload because of the pushrods are available in 0.050 increments so I wasn't sure how critical the preload was, say compared to the Comp R's. I also wasn't sure if they put a corrosion perservative on/in them for shipping and storage that would need removal. They will be here Thursday, I am pretty excited