Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam install?

so i ordered a few things from futral last wednesday and was hoping that they would have been here by now but just found out that they are coming in on friday. .( ported oil pump, ls2 timing chain, and gasket set) so my question can i go ahead and remove the cam and wat not and do the springs and stuff and just do the timing chain and oil pump when it comes in? thanks
Old 03-06-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you don't need to drive the car there's no reason you couldn't tear it down now and get a head start on the install's of what you can. If your going to take off the intake manifold make sure and tape up the head ports since it's gonna be sitting for a few days. Just my .02
Old 03-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

yeah the car is going to be sitting. and no i dont plan on taking of the intake manifold. so does that mean its ok for me to do the springs before i do the timing chain and oil pump?
Old 03-06-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea go ahead and do it IMO.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

are you actually doing a cam swap? If you are then i would just wait until you get everything there.....that way you know what went where and dont get confused on putting everything back together. Also just to let you know you can't swap out springs and such until you get the new cam back in. I'm not trying to make you sound stupid or anything. I am just trying to put in my .02 If i misread or misunderstood anything let me know.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:43 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Leave the stock cam or whatever cam in it at the time. I wouldnt let it sit without the cam in it for llonger than you have to...even with dowels to hold the lifters.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

sorry guys but i didnt really go into much detail when i was asking my questions. anyways i have my new cam, pushrods etc and everything else with me i just havent recieved my timing chain, gaskets, crank bolt, or ported oil pump till friday(according to ups) so is it okay if i swap everythingi have for now and then just do the rest when it gets here. i know this may sound stupid but just wanna make sure i dont mess anything up. thanks guys
Old 03-07-2006, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

You can do the springs now. I don't see why it would be a problem. Just use air to hold up the valves, much easier than turning the crank. Get the radiator, water pump out and you could even knock the front seal out (assuming you bought a new one). You could go ahead and put the new cam in and everything and just set the front cover back on the engine to guard from debris. I would start it early that way you can get that sucker up and running quick when your install kit arrives.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

I say start it now and get a head start. You'll run into some snags and this is a good way to expediate the process. Just be sure to use some of those sandwich bags for the bolts (label them) that way you don't end up with some extra parts. Personally, I'd use the TDC method for the spring swap, but that's just me.