Sponsored by:

F13 & Bad Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 12:25 PM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AFTICA
CBX... I bought a F11 from them in December 05. It arrived with pitting on the journals.
Yikes. How did the new one look?
Old 03-09-2006, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CBX
Yikes. How did the new one look?
The new one looked OK. I checked it with a magnifying glass. The core of the new cam looked completely different from the first one. I need to call Cam Motion to see where I stand with that batch of cams though.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

Just got off the phone with Carolynn from Cam Motion. They are in the process of splitting a few cams open to check for material integrity. Unfortunately they wont have any results until sometime next week... she asked me to give her a call back next week sometime.

I had a real nice chat with her and they seem like great people... they are genuinely concerned and are taking the steps to see what is what. She says theyve been receiving a TON of calls and have nothing to offer at this point... so if you guys are thinking about calling, hold up for a little bit, at least until late next week.

FWIW she said to me that over the last year they sold thousands and thousands of cams.... and only received a small handfull of cams back. Fortunately for us they care enough to take time and at least research the issue, if there is one at all.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got an e-mail from Futral. Here is what Allan said.

"There were a few cases from the begininng of last year,but I can't tell you if the cam will have a problem or not by just looking at the cam. We aren't repalcing any cam that hasen't had an issue. If the surface looks on the rough side,you can send in and we can get it polished for you.

Allan"

So pretty much I've been told that I need to destroy my engine for them to give me a replacement. I think that's bull ****. I now have to pay another $350 for a new cam because of this, when I should get a brand new replacement for free or a seriously discounted price. I understand how business works but I shouldn't have to buy a full priced cam again. I am extremely pissed off.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

I also just got off the phone with Carolyn at Cam Motion. Got the same info as Avengeance. Need to wait a week or so for more conclusive evidence on that batch.

Regarding my situation, she freely admitted that my cam and several others should've never gotten out the door. This was 12/05 so it's a different situation from the rest but not a comfortable feeling I'm sure for CBX. CBX Did you check that cam closely for pitting before installing it? She assured me that the cam they sent me to replace it has had no problems so far with the cores. The new one was ground about January 23 of this year.

Freaky.... I hear ya. Not a good situation. I'd wait a week to see what CamMotions research comes back with. If it's not good, I'd pull it.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also just got off the phone with Carolyn at Cam Motion. Got the same info as Avengeance. Need to wait a week or so for more conclusive evidence on that batch.

Regarding my situation, she freely admitted that my cam and several others should've never gotten out the door. This was 12/05 so it's a different situation from the rest but not a comfortable feeling I'm sure for CBX. CBX Did you check that cam closely for pitting before installing it? She assured me that the cam they sent me to replace it has had no problems so far with the cores. The new one was ground about January 23 of this year.

Freaky.... I hear ya. Not a good situation. I'd wait a week to see what CamMotions research comes back with. If it's not good, I'd pull it.

I guess I'm lucky enough to have my old engine already out of my car and disesembled. I have two weeks before my new engine arrives so I do have some time to play with.

I've been told that getting the cam polished will solve the issue. Is this true?
Old 03-09-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by freakynipples69
I just got an e-mail from Futral. Here is what Allan said.

"There were a few cases from the begininng of last year,but I can't tell you if the cam will have a problem or not by just looking at the cam. We aren't repalcing any cam that hasen't had an issue. If the surface looks on the rough side,you can send in and we can get it polished for you.

Allan"

So pretty much I've been told that I need to destroy my engine for them to give me a replacement. I think that's bull ****. I now have to pay another $350 for a new cam because of this, when I should get a brand new replacement for free or a seriously discounted price. I understand how business works but I shouldn't have to buy a full priced cam again. I am extremely pissed off.
I understand you freakynipples (I don't understand your name ). I was hoping to get a replacement cam before mine took a dump. I am willing to wait for this material test that Cammotion is doing. In my opinion, if there is proven to be somthing wrong with a batch of cams then ALL of owners of those cams should have the option of a free replacement.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just recieved an e-mail from Allan and we worked everything out.

I will continue to do buisness with Futral Motorsports in the future, and I am very sasitfied. Their reputable customer service has shined again.

No hard feelings. I understand these type of things happend. I am glad everything worked out.

I hope Allan works out any other issues everyone else may have.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by freakynipples69
I just recieved an e-mail from Allan and we worked everything out.

I will continue to do buisness with Futral Motorsports in the future, and I am very sasitfied. Their reputable customer service has shined again.

No hard feelings. I understand these type of things happend. I am glad everything worked out.

I hope Allan works out any other issues everyone else may have.
Thats why just about everyone who has an f13 issue right now still recommends the cam to others (I know I sure do). Allan really does all he can to keep a good rep. He may be a little behind after the hurricane or just understaffed when you try and call, but he truely goes out of his way to make everyone happy, which is worth its weight in gold.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

im also sure he wanted to get everything inline before he started tellin people aobut the cam so he wouldnt get a million calls lol
Old 03-10-2006, 12:16 AM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Yes, there was no pitting on the lobes at all. There was was a slight imperfection on the end of the cam closest to the front were it sits it the front bearing but it was smooth all around where it spins. It was slight pitting. My core number is 3310100 if that helps.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:41 AM
12 Second Club

This whole time Ive been wondering... how many cams are ground out of a core#? Cause from what I understand there was 200 cams sold in the GP. So far Ive seen a few with the core# 3310100. My buddy HALLZ was in on that GP and has the same core#... so fortunately, and at the same time unfortunately, Im wondering if it was isolated somewhat because of the amount of cams ground specifically to that GP.

I bought my cam from Cam Motion back in Dec04 - Jan05. My core# is 3310082.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:50 AM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Avengeance
This whole time Ive been wondering... how many cams are ground out of a core#? Cause from what I understand there was 200 cams sold in the GP. So far Ive seen a few with the core# 3310100. My buddy HALLZ was in on that GP and has the same core#... so fortunately, and at the same time unfortunately, Im wondering if it was isolated somewhat because of the amount of cams ground specifically to that GP.

I bought my cam from Cam Motion back in Dec04 - Jan05. My core# is 3310082.
Have you heard of any problems with the 3310100 core? What could slight pitting on the journal do to a bearing?
Old 03-10-2006, 01:03 AM
12 Second Club

Havent heard anything specific about any FM13 core# yet.... Cam Motion said they would have some material testing done by this time next week so we'll see.

However... Ive been personally told that my particular core# hasnt been affected, that there hasnt been any complaints/returns on that same core# like I mentioned in one of my earlier posts. Im still looking for a date range to go with my cam core# though.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:13 AM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Avengeance
Havent heard anything specific about any FM13 core# yet.... Cam Motion said they would have some material testing done by this time next week so we'll see.

However... Ive been personally told that my particular core# hasnt been affected, that there hasnt been any complaints/returns on that same core# like I mentioned in one of my earlier posts. Im still looking for a date range to go with my cam core# though.
Thanks for the information. I will continue to monitor this thread.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CBX
Yes, there was no pitting on the lobes at all. There was was a slight imperfection on the end of the cam closest to the front were it sits it the front bearing but it was smooth all around where it spins. It was slight pitting. My core number is 3310100 if that helps.
I don't think I would trust that cam. Even though the pitting is not on the journal running surface, if that imperfection is a hollow spot in the core and it decides to come apart, your in trouble. Just my opinion. Depends on how slight the pitting was.

I believe from my conversation with Carolyn that core #'s go with the cam grind not the time period. My core # for the F11 cam was 3310100 also. That core number was the same for the the new cam they ground for me and that core looked completely different from the first cam. I think the F13 guys have a different core #
Old 03-10-2006, 09:14 AM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

I don't think I would trust that cam. Even though the pitting is not on the journal running surface, if that imperfection is a hollow spot in the core and it decides to come apart, your in trouble. Just my opinion. Depends on how slight the pitting was.

I believe from my conversation with Carolyn that core #'s go with the cam grind not the time period. My core # for the F11 cam was 3310100 also. That core number was the same for the the new cam they ground for me and that core looked completely different from the first cam. I think the F13 guys have a different core #
The imperfection is on the journal running surface and is very slight. Since it is a depression, do you think it can it do any harm to the bearing?
Old 03-10-2006, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CBX
The imperfection is on the journal running surface and is very slight. Since it is a depression, do you think it can it do any harm to the bearing?
On the running surface is a different story. If it was me I would pull it. Check out the attached picture. Mine is the one with the least pitting, though it was worse than the picture shows. It didn't seem too bad either but I didn't want to take a chance of it further eroding and taking out bearings.The other pic is from another guy on here that had his cam ground the same time as ours.

Are you satisfied with your F11 performance? My F11 is producing almost identical timeslips to my little B1 cam in the same DA. I need to log another run to check out one final parameter but I'm very disappointed in my F11 at this point. I'm thinking that because the whole transaction with Futral was such a clusterf**k that maybe they didn't get the specs right on the cam either. Since yours was ground in the same time period I'm curious as to your assessment of the performance of your cam.
Attached Thumbnails F13 & Bad Lifters-pict0723.jpg   F13 & Bad Lifters-s4200007.jpg  
Old 03-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Well cam has the same core # as some of these faulty cams. My core number is also 3310100. Not cool.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:39 PM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

On the running surface is a different story. If it was me I would pull it. Check out the attached picture. Mine is the one with the least pitting, though it was worse than the picture shows. It didn't seem too bad either but I didn't want to take a chance of it further eroding and taking out bearings.The other pic is from another guy on here that had his cam ground the same time as ours.

Are you satisfied with your F11 performance? My F11 is producing almost identical timeslips to my little B1 cam in the same DA. I need to log another run to check out one final parameter but I'm very disappointed in my F11 at this point. I'm thinking that because the whole transaction with Futral was such a clusterf**k that maybe they didn't get the specs right on the cam either. Since yours was ground in the same time period I'm curious as to your assessment of the performance of your cam.
I'm pretty happy with it. I'm running stock heads that I ported to flow a little better, ported TB, twin cone intake, headers, etc. Everthing else, intake, etc is stock. I had it dyno tuned at ECS. I have 332 HP at the wheels and 380 torque at the wheels with the flattest chart you have ever seen. It's pretty much linear. The dyno started recording around 4200 RPM and it's already at 332 HP and goes straight across the chart and stays there. Torque does the same, shoots right to 380 and stays there, drops off a little. It's pretty torquey, lots of fun on the street. If I did take the cam out I would maybe go to the F13, but I want the low end and mid range of a 112 LSA so with my A4 I might be better off with the F11 as far as idle is concerned. Some people are concerned only with the highest HP they can get, but I don't want to have to spin this thing to the moon to use it. I can pretty much light them up at will. I'm sure I could get more out of it with heads, intake manifold etc. but where does it end? It's plenty fast for the street.

Do you have any numbers yet?