Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bearing question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bearing question

i guess this is the right place for these questions. i have the opurtunity to pick up a 6.0 motor for cheap, but it has about 200k miles on it. i plan on dropping it in a fox body, and carbing it.
1.) how much mileage are these motors getting before bearings start going? 2.)would it be ok to throw a ls6 cam in it or bigger and run it at the track?
3.)or should i rering it and put crank and rod bearings in it?
4.) would it be ok if i just threw in some stock replacment bearings?

i'm trying to do this car on a small budget.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

i would seriously consider doing all that you can afford as far as a partial rebuild or refresh. 200k is a BIG number for a performance engine to have.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

at least bearings, piston rings and a hone....
Old 03-08-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it would be nice to do a rebuild, but there are many ls1s here with many miles and no problems. Since you are on a budget, I would do the simplest thing - take off the heads and look at the bore, and take off the oil pan and look at the main and rod bearings. If everthing is okay, just reassemble and do nothing.

Just pay attention to cam bushing wear, which some people have complained about on their inspections.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 5.7fox
i guess this is the right place for these questions. i have the opurtunity to pick up a 6.0 motor for cheap, but it has about 200k miles on it. i plan on dropping it in a fox body, and carbing it.
1.) how much mileage are these motors getting before bearings start going? 2.)would it be ok to throw a ls6 cam in it or bigger and run it at the track?
3.)or should i rering it and put crank and rod bearings in it?
4.) would it be ok if i just threw in some stock replacment bearings?

i'm trying to do this car on a small budget.
I have seen them well into 200K miles with VERY little wear, so i would suggest maybe tearing it down, maybe get it all clean and inspected.....possibly polish the crank a little(only at machine shop) and mic the cylinders, and then put some federal mogul or clevite stock replacement bearings. As far as cam goes.......What heads? What intake? and many other things to consider before i would pick one. Hope this helps
Old 03-08-2006, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kazfan30
I have seen them well into 200K miles with VERY little wear, so i would suggest maybe tearing it down, maybe get it all clean and inspected.....possibly polish the crank a little(only at machine shop) and mic the cylinders, and then put some federal mogul or clevite stock replacement bearings. As far as cam goes.......What heads? What intake? and many other things to consider before i would pick one. Hope this helps
i want to run the edelbrock carburated intake,stock heads with upgraded springs. and possibly something like a Trex or magic stick cam. i can also pick up a low mileage 5.3 for the same great price. would it be a better choice? what would the difference in power be using the same cam
Old 03-08-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 5.7fox
i want to run the edelbrock carburated intake,stock heads with upgraded springs. and possibly something like a Trex or magic stick cam. i can also pick up a low mileage 5.3 for the same great price. would it be a better choice? what would the difference in power be using the same cam
I would go ahead and go with the 6.0, more options later on down the road....As far as cam goes, those are some monsters... i would say go for it. Since you are carbed you will have alot easier time tuning. Where you meaning stock LS1 heads, or 6.0 heads. Good luck, she should really move.........although i dont think i could ever bring myself to put a GM engine in my Fox body 89
Old 03-08-2006, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

which would be the best stock heads for it? 5.3, ls1, or 6.0? i have somewhat easy access to any of them.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the compression ratio might be too high if you use the 5.3 or ls1 heads. I'd just stick with the 6 liter ones.