Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRAK Cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRAK Cam

I have heard a bits and pieces about this cam, but I haven’t seen very many running it. Maybe because it is still a bit of a mystery to others like myself. I have a few questions regarding this cam, I am not interested in hearing from people who “think” they know what they are talking about. I want to hear from people who are running it or have ran it. Experts feel free to reply, everyone else please sit back and learn with me.

1) Intended application - What type of application was this cam designed for?

2) RPM Range – What is the power range, the peak torque and peak hp RPM?

3) Shift Point – What is the recommended shift point?

4) Heads – How well does the TRAK cam perform when used with stock heads, is this even feasible? Also, which aftermarket heads would best complement this cam (valve size, intake runner size, milled, gasket thickness ect…)?

5) Springs – What springs are recommended? Do they need to be shimmed? If so to what?

6) Pushrods – What length pushrods are optimal?

7) Stall/Gears – What size stall is recommended for this cam (A4). Which gears are recommended for a M6.

8) Difficulty of Tune – Can this be drivable with a simple mail order tune from TSP? (mainly referring to A4)

9) Power – How much rwhp/tq can one expect to get from the TRAK cam (both on A4 and M6). Assuming one has all supporting bolt-ons (LS6 Intake, ported tb, LT, ORY, catback, pulley, stall/clutch/gears).

10) Drivability – How streetable is this cam? Any surging, bucking, stalling associated? How mean is the idle?
Old 03-16-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just bought the cam today. Patrick G would be the guy you need to ask on here. As far as springs, you will need some 921's for the setup. I have full bolt ons, and I am looking for a lil over 400rwhp, and 390-400 tq with a good tune. You can find some of the answer to your questions on TR's website. I would also suggest calling Thunder and talking to them about your goals. They are nice people and will be glad to help you.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

I got the cam and love it, I shift around 6800, got a 3800 stall withj 3:73 gears, not sure about using with stock heads, I would suggest you get some good pushrods and 921 springs, its very drivable and easily tuned, I drive mine to the track to race and havnt had any problems with it, just make sure they adjust dtc p0121 varibles up a bit to keep the code from setting a ses and detuning your car !
Old 03-16-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, that's quite a list. I just finished installing one in my car. Here's my best for each of your questions:
1) Intended application - All motor, stock displacement performance, plain and simple. Big power without big duration.

2) Power band - 2800-6800 from what I've seen. Peak hp/tq - 6700/5000

3) Shift point - 6600-6800 ish

4) I've seen it used with AFR's so those would be an excellent choice. As long as the heads have stock or better P-to-V clearance, they're fine. Why wouldn't stock heads be ok? That's how I'm running it.

5) Thunder recommends Comp 921's, but PRC/Patriots will work. I have AFR duals on mine. They don't need to be shimmed but Thunder recommends it for maximum spring life. You need to shim to within .050" of coil bind.

6) 7.4" will suffice on stock/unmilled heads with stock thickness gaskets

7) I'm running a 3800 without any complaints and 3.73 gears

8) It could. I was thinking about the TSP tune, but I'm getting a good deal on a dyno tune locally.

9) An M6 with this cam and AFR's/FAST90 put down 472/420 with typical bolt-ons, with no cats and a water pump, it put down 487/436. Cam only, M6, I'd expect probably about 420rwhp, on an A4 about 400rwhp. Haven't dynoed mine just yet. I will within two weeks though.

10) With a good tune, this cam is very streetable, as streetable as say an FMS F14; however, the idle is a little choppier because of the lift numbers.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's a great cam. The reason not too many people are running it yet is because it's relatively new and rather unique. It runs an LSK lobe in the intake and XE-R on the exhaust side.

We just finished one putting one in 8banger's car, like he said. Looks like it'll be a strong runner, especially after we figure out the tune for it.

Keep in mind Patrick G is using speed density tuning (I believe) but it'll work out great with any good tune.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ill be using a SD tune also, I will post numbers in 2 weeks or so.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

my ms3 cam prc 5.3l head setup did 400rwhp untuned and unlocked im hopeing for 420 tuned ....