Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would it be a bad idea to supercharge my application?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would it be a bad idea to supercharge my application?

With the mods listed in my sig, I'd kind of like to get even more power... :-\ I kinda have the modding disease, where too much is never enough I'd prefer to not slap the nitrous on if I could get away with a supercharger. So I understand that I have high compression cylinder heads and what not, but i'm curious if I could still run a supercharger and maybe just run lower boost and be safe? Also, if I did this, how much power would I expect to gain?
Old 03-16-2006, 03:23 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

11.7~11.8:1 is too high for the supercharger unless you have 100 octane in the tank.

I'd run the nitrous on top, or replace the heads with unmilled ones.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

your compression is too high for a FI setup...i'm no expert, but you'd probably only be able to run a max of 3 psi in order to still use pump gas - at that point, you'd really only be offsetting the parasitic loss from the blower with very little gains
Old 03-16-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MagikMan
With the mods listed in my sig, I'd kind of like to get even more power... :-\ I kinda have the modding disease, where too much is never enough I'd prefer to not slap the nitrous on if I could get away with a supercharger. So I understand that I have high compression cylinder heads and what not, but i'm curious if I could still run a supercharger and maybe just run lower boost and be safe? Also, if I did this, how much power would I expect to gain?
LMAO, I've been going through that same exact dilemma. I called A&A and ECS to discuss my options. We've got very similiar setups, so what they told me may apply to you as well.

I'm only running 10.9 CR right now, and I'd be fine running 5-6psi. ECS recommended to replace my 228R cam w/ a ZO6 cam (too much cam), replace my 63cc heads for some 70cc to get the CR down, and I'd be fine. Andy said the cam would be fine, but it was a little big; And, as far as the heads he said I'd be fine w/ 5-6psi. The thing that gets me is the price for all the installation. I'm assuming installation to replace my cam and heads would be about $1500, then for the SC another $1000 on top of that. Then there's maintence issues, replacing belts yearly, replacing the oil every 3000-6000 miles, and the worry of everything staying together. I'm still on the edge, not sure which way to go.

Here's my problem, A&A's kit is $5500, I've got a 90/90 setup I could sell that hasn't gone in (1150), #30 inj(250), TR55s(50), and Double roller timing chain(100) . So it'd actually come out to about $4000, but then the extra for install puts it right back up there. Decisions...decisions........
Old 03-16-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you could run higher PSI/boost...if you had a well tuned in methanol kit. but if that dies...your hosed
Old 03-17-2006, 12:37 AM
Launching!

it just sux, because I paid so much for my cartek heads... but I just can't quench my insitiable thirst for more speed
Old 03-17-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MagikMan
it just sux, because I paid so much for my cartek heads... but I just can't quench my insitiable thirst for more speed
Get some wheels, that'll suffice for now. I just ordered my CCW SP500s. I figure that way it'll be too much of a hassle to take the wheels on and off to put my DRs for the tracks, which is why we want to go faster. Anyways, 11.5s are fine w/ me, until my next car.