Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evil Cricket????

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Evil Cricket????

Ok guys I just did a cam sawp and changed my top tensioner pulley but it still sounds like I have an evil cricket chirping under my hood and ideas?
Old 03-17-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

drive belt idler pulley, thats what was causing chirping under my hood, got it replaced and no more chirp even on cold wet days.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

isn't that the same as the tensioner pulley on the big belt that is used to take the belt off?
Old 03-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Anybody?
Old 03-17-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check the hose clamps on your upper water pump hose. last time i had my water pump off, my hose clamp didn't seal up properly and it would occasionally drip onto the belt.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Idler pulley is below the power steering pump. It has no tensioner but, it has a bearing and is subject to the same amount of tension as the tensioner.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Can I remove both belts and start it up to see if it is a pulley or will doing that mess something up?
Old 03-17-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

how will the pulleys move without the belts?? the underdrive pulley moves them all.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

What I was thinking is that if I take the belts off and the noise stops I know for sure it is one of the pulley's? Am I correct in this?
Old 03-17-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

or just take the belts off and spin the pulleys by hand.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Pull them off and start it. Won't hurt anything. I've done it several times. Just don't let it run long enough to get hot.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:09 AM
12 Second Club

FWIW my pulley went out, idler pulley, after my second cam swap. I figured it out by taking the belt off and running it for a minute. Sound went away so I did the long socket wrench extention to the ear trick, and it was hummin bad. Replaced it.. and it was gone. The bearing would actually wiggle a bit when it was off the car.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Launching!

Heres what happened to me, about 2k miles after my first cam swap I would get a chirping squeeling noise coming from what at first I thought was the front of the motor, so I purchased a new serpentine belt and a new ac belt. Went and changed out the serpentine belt, old one looked fine, fired it up and still squeeled. So I had the car on jackstands and this time I got underneath and completely disconnected both belts and fired it up and let it run for a few moments. The squeeing was still there, so I tried to source where the noise was coming from, I managed to crawl back and couldnt pin point it but it seemed to be coming from the end of the block where the clutch is.

So I figured it could possibly be a warped flywheel or something, the squeeling/chirping would happen when my oil temp was 150+ not when it was cold, and it only happened at low RPM's like around 1k-1500, if I increased the RPM's it would dissapear. It was very audible, almost like a demented blower whistle, because it was erratic.

Soooooo, I let it go and just turned up my radio for a few months, figured if it was the clutch, Id cure it when the clutch went out.

Eventually I got around to changing my valvetrain around, I ditched the crane gold rocker arms I had in conjunction with the 220/224 114 cam I had in there.

And after I put in my new cam (sig), the Squeeling/chirping completely went away.

I assumed the noise was coming from the old cam,possibly a warped journal or something but I inspected the old cam and the lobes and journals were fine, and free of wear. I dont know if it was reacting with the lifters, or what but thats where my whistling was coming from.

I essentially killed 3 birds with 1 stone in my recent cam swap, heres the whole story.

http://zo6vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94176

Others have also noticed a squeeling/whistling noise coming from their recently swapped cams as well, I would definetely look into this.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Who made your original cam?
Old 03-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Scrappy
Who made your original cam?
The cam was an 056 cam from VHP, manufactured by crane.

Funny thing is a few futral F13 owners complained of the same thing that the F13 resolved in my car. Do a search, this isnt an isolated case, It may be the cam.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

Well the noise starts as soon as I start the car so it seems to be a little different than what happened to you, but I really hope it's not the cam cuz I don't want to have to do another swap. And if it is the cam am I going to hurt anything besides my damn ears?
Old 03-19-2006, 12:59 AM
Teching In

Did you change belts? I changed all my pullies when I did my cam and I still had that cricket sound so I got some belts (gatorbacks) and the squeek went away.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:39 AM
Launching!

Check pages 4 and 5 on this thread, there are random replies of a similar squeeling noise coming from the CAM.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...6&page=5&pp=10

As for eliminating the possibility of it being the belts, do as another member and I suggested and remove youre belt/belts and try and locate the source while its running for a few moments. I had both my belts off and I ran my motor for a good 2-3 minutes, you will be fine.

Do not go out and purchase any new belts yet, I did this initially as I immediately assumed it was the belt and I was out $50.

I dont know why this is happening, possibly a warped cam journal or maybe the back of the cam is rubbing something in the back of the motor. Because my chirping/squeeling was certainly coming from the back of the block, not the front, I figured this out when I had my car on jackstands, both belts off and I crawled back there.

I thank the lord its not doing it after my F13, that sound drove me nuts. It dynoed strong and still pulled strong with no other mechanical issues with the unwanted noise. And I didnt find any metal shavings on my drain plug so I dont think there was any significant wear if the cam was indeed rubbing something.

Good luck, this issue has happened to a few of us.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Ok I just removed the bigger of the 2 belts and the noise actuall seemd to get worse????? HELLLLP!!!!
Old 03-20-2006, 01:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Scrappy
Ok I just removed the bigger of the 2 belts and the noise actuall seemd to get worse????? HELLLLP!!!!
Remove both the belts.