Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having trouble with cam install

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Having trouble with cam install

I have installed a cam before on my car and I was going through the install of the new cam smoothly, but I just ran into a problem. I went to pull the cam out, but after about 25% of it was out it was getting stuck on something. I couldnt rotate the cam in a complete 360 it was stuck. I looked at my pen magnets and I noticed it appeared that one of the magnets moved as I came to the point where it would stick. I put the cam back in pulled all of the magnets back out, and tried to spin the cam, and the cam is still sticking in one place as I rotate the cam. Could a lifter be stuck or what could the problem be. The cam origonally spun freely but now it sticks at a certain point. Am I screwed? Will the heads have to come off. I was going to put in some new rodbolts with the engine still in the car, so maybe I should just pull the whole engine out.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe the lifter dropped just below the retainer and is cocked at an angle some how.I dont know if thats even possable,but maybe.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:14 PM
10 Second Club

you may have touched a lifter with the cam and it might have fell slightly. if you have got the cam all the way back in. just work with the cam (turning it by hand) and with you other hand try to rotate/pull the lifter back up. this may help you out, good luck with it.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was thinking about this agian.More than likely,like you already said,a lifter probably did move.I wouldnt try messing with the cam till you fixed the lifter.It sucks to say it,but I would pull the head on that side of the car to make sure the lifter doesnt drop.Or so that if you do some how get it back into the retainer,its in it right.

I'd rather pull the head now then have to pull the motor for a dropped lifter.Then still have to pull the head.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

Default reply

Thanks for the reply guys. I messed around with it a little bit more, but that lifter feels like its wedged in there. I tried putting a pushrod back down the hole and applying preassure on the lifter to feel if it was ridding on the cam at all, but it wouldnt budge at all. The cam rotates to a point then gets caught on something. Looks like I will be ordering some head bolts, and a new gasket. Would you replace the intake gaskets or could I reuse those?
Old 03-21-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've reused my intake gaskets a few times.I've reused probably every gasket on my car except head gaskets atleast 3 times.Alot of people replace them so no chances are taken.I'm changing to another cam as soon as it gets here and I plan to replace every gasket I pull this time.Which I probably dont have to,but eventually my luck will fail!
Old 03-21-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had this problem sunday night, except the cam was all the way in, and i could not get it out! I ended up double checking all the lifters with the magnet, and once of the magnets was wedged somewhere, i couldnt getit out for anything! Eventually after messing with it for a while i got the magnet out, got it reseated on the lifter, and the cam slid right out. I would get it another try before calling it quits.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

I dont understand the whole magnet deal.

Just buy 2 5/16 inch wooden dowel rods for like a dollar and be done with it.
SLide them right into the two holes in the front of the engine.

That is what I used for my cam swap. Same as the metal cam swap tool someone sells...only it doesnt cost 100 bucks.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

my thoughts exactly, I don't know how many times it has to be said before people finally listen to it, it must be viewed as hard, lol who knows.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Regular

Default dowels

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
I dont understand the whole magnet deal.

Just buy 2 5/16 inch wooden dowel rods for like a dollar and be done with it.
SLide them right into the two holes in the front of the engine.

That is what I used for my cam swap. Same as the metal cam swap tool someone sells...only it doesnt cost 100 bucks.
I have done a lot of research on this topic and tried a wood dowel and several metal rods I inserted the dowel and just to check if they were holding up the lifters I put a few pushrods back into the block on lifters that I knew would not stay up on their own, and even with the dowel in place the lifter still dropped, thats why I use pen magnets.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Then you were using the wrong size dowel or something.
maybe if you force them down they may drop, im not sure...just like if you forced the magnets down. And yes they will drop down a bit...but not enough to matter, and definately not completely into the oil pan.
I spun the cam with real quick motions while inserting the rod. The lifters have to be up high enough for the rods to go under them. If you spin it fast by hand (thread a couple bolts in the end of the cam) it will launch the lifters upward enough to slide the rods in correctly. You put the rods in with the cam in the car. therefor you need to make enough room between the cam and lifters...hence the need to spin the cam quickly.
And my motor definately wasnt a russian roulette motor....it had 85k on it when I did the swap....I dont think they would have stayed up for an hour on their own ( I went and did some other things while the rods were in place and the cam was out), even if they were in like new condition.

And this product must also be a farse?(jpr cam install tool) Go to the bottom of the page....same thing as using wooden dowels. 5/16 is the perfect size....nothing bigger will fit in.

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=17

They also use them on the ls1howto cam swap

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

Last edited by UltraZLS1; 03-22-2006 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:29 PM
12 Second Club

screw the pen magnet method! You are just begging to drop a lifter! The wooden dowel method worked like a dream for me....just like UltraZLS1 said...you may not have gotten the lifter high enough to get the dowel under it. Or your dowel could have been too small.