Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gaskets..........Felpro or Cometics

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gaskets..........Felpro or Cometics

I was told that Cometics are great and all, but I also heard that the Felpro's will help to fill in any possible problems such as leaks from sleeves. When we took mine off on Friday (Felpro) that ARE originally put on 2 years ago, they were perfect just like they just came out of the package.

I ordered and recieved my .051 Cometics. (I'll sell'em if Felpro's are better)

Just wondering what ya'll think.

Thanks.

Old 03-21-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Veteran

You are good to go either way.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MLS gaskets like the block and head prep to be perfect. Graphite or composite gaskets are a bit more forgiving. MLS will likely hold better power and last longer under abuse. No reason to sell em if youve already got the cometics. Just clean your heads and block thoroughly. Stone them if you want to get real fancy.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Stone them if you want to get real fancy.

I was going to hit them with some 600 grit and WD40
Old 03-21-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickin
I was going to hit them with some 600 grit and WD40
A stone is a fine grit abrasive block. Feels like black ceramic or an actual stone. The advantage is that its perfectly flat, unlike sandpaper that will follow the contour of teh surface its sanding down. In the end they accomplish the same thing. If you want to look for one, look up machine stone or machinist's stone, also known as: bench stone, honing block, or even a sharpening stone.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
A stone is a fine grit abrasive block. Feels like black ceramic or an actual stone. The advantage is that its perfectly flat, unlike sandpaper that will follow the contour of teh surface its sanding down. In the end they accomplish the same thing. If you want to look for one, look up machine stone or machinist's stone, also known as: bench stone, honing block, or even a sharpening stone.
Cool. I was told if I do the sandpaper to make small circular patterns and not press too hard.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Deffinatlly do not use sand paper, and personally, I wouldn't use any other type abrasive means for getting the block or heads clean. The cometics require a certain grade finish, I forget the code, but it's RFxxx. It's almost a mirror like finish on the heads and block. Almost no sign of a tooling path. I'd soak both with some wd-40 and maybe use some sort of brass steel wool. Both gaskets are good, but both are MLS. I'm sure the Fel-pro's are a bit more forgiving, but I've heard of them leaking as well. Just get your surfaces prepped and run the cometics, you should be fine.