Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those wanting GC oil...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
I think he's referring to the label as being green. That's the only thing I can think of; the oil I've seen ain't green.
Nope...the oil is green. All of the older German made castrol has a distinct green color to it. You'll know it if you see it. The newer German made Castrol is gold like every other oil out there.

PS- yea the Enzo requires some special Shell made oil, that cost 74 dollars per quart..This right here proves the guy who claims "oil is oil" wrong. Ferrari will not warranty the engine if this oil is not used...obviously oil is not oil, or they would tell you to just go to Family Dollar and put any old **** you can find in there motors.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

What about motorcycle oil. Suzuki performance motor oil 4-cycle SAE10W-40
API SJ.
This is the oil in my bike and it does turn 9,000 rpm.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by aux_fast_cam
What about motorcycle oil. Suzuki performance motor oil 4-cycle SAE10W-40
API SJ.
This is the oil in my bike and it does turn 9,000 rpm.
Motorcycle oil has no friction modifiers, and also has other stuff removed so it can be run with a wet clutch. Just for what its worth..i used to use shell rotella in my 2001 YZ250F...that would turn 13,500..i dont think RPM has a great deal to do with it...
Old 03-28-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I've given up any hope of finding this $h!t. I'm gonna go with the Redline or Amsoil 5W-40s!!
either of those oils are also top notch.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Travis99LS1
PS- yea the Enzo requires some special Shell made oil, that cost 74 dollars per quart..This right here proves the guy who claims "oil is oil" wrong. Ferrari will not warranty the engine if this oil is not used...obviously oil is not oil, or they would tell you to just go to Family Dollar and put any old **** you can find in there motors.
either that or Shell has a contract with Ferrari....
Old 03-29-2006, 04:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Travis99LS1
Nope...the oil is green. All of the older German made castrol has a distinct green color to it. You'll know it if you see it. The newer German made Castrol is gold like every other oil out there.

LOL All that proves is Ferrari owners are forced to get raped over thier oil in the same way they are raped over a tune up that runs $10,000. Not all oils are created equal but the better brands will all do good for your car. You are not going to notice any difference in longevity. Now if you run an oil formulated for a bike or another vehicle you are certainly asking for serious problems! lol
Old 03-29-2006, 05:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never had a problem finding GC in my Autozones around here, I've done about 5 oil changes with this stuff in various people's cars now. I dunno maybe we're just lucky down here
Old 03-29-2006, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

AMSOIL is easy to get. Just go to my website and order it.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
It has much better oil analysis results than basically every other oil on the market (except for maybe Amsoil which shows to be very good as well, but is harder to get).
And to you have a copy or access to the results you quote??
Old 03-29-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
LOL All that proves is Ferrari owners are forced to get raped over thier oil in the same way they are raped over a tune up that runs $10,000. Not all oils are created equal but the better brands will all do good for your car. You are not going to notice any difference in longevity. Now if you run an oil formulated for a bike or another vehicle you are certainly asking for serious problems! lol
yea...I never said that any good brand of oil would not be suitable for a Ferrari...But saying "oil is oil" is far from the truth and we all know it.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
Yep. Plenty of hard driven 100K+ LS1's living just fine with M1. Ain't like we're revving to 10,000 rpm
There are also a lot of LS1s which burn oil when using M1 5w30 and find they don't burn it with other oils.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r
Hey Patman is there any truth to the Green GC being a better formula than the Gold?
The thing is, the gold formula is new, so there is always going to be that little bit of doubt until it proves itself. The more oil analysis results I see the more I'm getting to the point where I believe that the gold is just as good as the green and possibly even better.

But until I see the results in my very own vehicle's oil analysis reports, I can't honestly say with 100% certainty as to how it compares. I've still got 66L of the green so it might be a while before I get those results (although I'm toying with the idea of switching my wife's car over from green to gold so that I can start seeing some results, although since I only change her oil once a year, I wouldn't get those results until the fall of 2007)
Old 05-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Launching!

i use the mobil 1 high performance formula. figured since it says it last 15,000 miles its good. i change it at 3000 still.