Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can't take it any more

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't take it any more

i'm so pissed at my car right now. i'm about to sell it as-is. i just got the tim tool and i still can't get these ******* valve springs to go on. now the problem is the spring will not line up with the valve stem. it won't give me enough room to get the keepers in. it seems like the spring is cocked to one side. so it jams against the valve. i don't understand what i'm doing wrong.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u need to make sure the "prongs" on the valve spring compressor are staggered. if you have them even its going to pull the valve spring to one side. the spring needs to pull straight up and if it does get "jammed" on the valve...stop and loosen it or you can cause damage to the valve. just slow down and be patient or try to find someone in your area who has changed 1000 or so valve springs and is willing to help.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

patience. take a break and forget about it for a while.

is the tool pushing on the top side of the spring (intake side of the spring)? im not real familiar with the tool....

pics?
Old 03-30-2006, 06:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fguy1998
i'm so pissed at my car right now. i'm about to sell it as-is. i just got the tim tool and i still can't get these ******* valve springs to go on. now the problem is the spring will not line up with the valve stem. it won't give me enough room to get the keepers in. it seems like the spring is cocked to one side. so it jams against the valve. i don't understand what i'm doing wrong.
You need to make sure when you are compressing the spring that the valve is going to come up straight at the top. Using that tool (and i have) and tools like the More Perf tool....you have to slightly lean the spring a lil forward before compressing. when it goes down using these tools....it kinda does it on a curve...not straight down. Try one of the first front ones and watch as you compress it and you will see what i mean.