Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

double roller timing set and LS6 oil pump (clearance issues)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 07:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default double roller timing set and LS6 oil pump (clearance issues)

I was running a rollermaster double roller timing set in my LS1 along with a ported LS6 oil pump. When I put it together I used the oil pump spacers (provided with timing set) and remember the clearance between the back side of the pump and the front side of the chaing being tight. Well, now after tearing the motor back down it looks like there is enough play in the chain that it has actually been slightly rubbing on the back of the oil pump. I don't think this is normal... WTF?!?! Has anyone else experienced this?? Are double rollers really worth it or should I put a LS2 timing set back in it?? I'll be spinning the motor to 7,000 and using a healthy cam FWIW.

Thanks!
-Jeremy
Old 04-02-2006, 11:53 AM
9 Second Club

TTT 4me, anyone??
Old 04-03-2006, 01:06 PM
9 Second Club

Come on guys... someone has to have experience with this...
Old 04-04-2006, 02:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you have to drind the pump and cover? Mine is like 1/4 inch off. If so where did you grind
Old 04-04-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Resident

Mine is real close with a Crane double chain. I mean real close. Not a big problem if it touches. I have a plastic chain dampner also. That may help to keep the chain under control.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:50 AM
9 Second Club

Well guys, mine was really close... you could pretty much flex the chain outward and make it hit the oil pump... I don't really care for that. Just curious what experience others have had with this setup!
Old 04-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Launching!

mine is a pretty good distance away. I am happy with it but i just cant get the damn covor on.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

I really think am the only lucky one when it comes to these. I installed that same exact setup in my car with no problems at all. Plenty of clearance too. Do you have the timing marks lined up exactly?
Old 04-05-2006, 11:53 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robinator
Do you have the timing marks lined up exactly?
You talking to me?? My double roller was installed and in the car for awhile with no issues. Upon tearing the motor down though I noticed that the chain could flex towards the oil pump and SLIGHTLY rub it... just curious if anyone else has had this problem.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA91
You talking to me?? My double roller was installed and in the car for awhile with no issues. Upon tearing the motor down though I noticed that the chain could flex towards the oil pump and SLIGHTLY rub it... just curious if anyone else has had this problem.
This is not a problem. Duals will not stretch enough to have a resonance causing it to hit the pump if proper spacers used. The motion you describe simply doesn't happen.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
This is not a problem. Duals will not stretch enough to have a resonance causing it to hit the pump if proper spacers used. The motion you describe simply doesn't happen.

This is correct, the chain will not flex outward or inward, so don't worry about that. If there is space, then it will not hit, but if its resting on the oilpump, then you have problems.

Best Regards,
Adrian
Old 04-05-2006, 01:29 PM
9 Second Club

The motion I'm decribing DOES and DID happen... I was running a rollermaster double chain with a ported LS6 oil pump and the provided spacers. Like I said, when I assembled the motor it was close but had clearance. Well now upon tearing it apart I've noticed that you can pull the chain "outward" some and the little "rivets" on the chain links have slight wear on them. WTF?!?! I can post pics soon if necessary. Thanks for the help/concern guys!
Old 04-05-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

The motion I'm decribing DOES and DID happen... I was running a rollermaster double chain with a ported LS6 oil pump and the provided spacers. Like I said, when I assembled the motor it was close but had clearance. Well now upon tearing it apart I've noticed that you can pull the chain "outward" some and the little "rivets" on the chain links have slight wear on them. WTF?!?! I can post pics soon if necessary. Thanks for the help/concern guys!
Assuming you have proper clearances on t-chain assembly and your cam bearings are at specs, that motion should not happen.
If it did then something else is not right in the assembly.
In plain english your T-chain assembly is not rotating on a paralel axis and some type of wobliness is occuring.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:46 PM
9 Second Club

Assuming you have proper clearances on t-chain assembly and your cam bearings are at specs, that motion should not happen.
If it did then something else is not right in the assembly.
In plain english your T-chain assembly is not rotating on a paralel axis and some type of wobliness is occuring.
Maybe it is due to my cam bearings. They were worn due to some other issues I had recently. That would make sense and contribute to the "play"...

*As for "proper clearances on the t-chain assembly"... what exactly are you referring to? I guess I'll have to wait until I re-assemble the engine and look into this area more closely.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe it is due to my cam bearings. They were worn due to some other issues I had recently. That would make sense and contribute to the "play"...
BINGO

*As for "proper clearances on the t-chain assembly"... what exactly are you referring to? I guess I'll have to wait until I re-assemble the engine and look into this area more closely.
Means that you have enough clearance on all the moving parts (proper distance from chain to pump, proper crank gear install, proper cam bearing clearance etc.....)
Old 04-05-2006, 03:40 PM
9 Second Club

Gotcha, thought that's what you meant.