Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal in oil

Old 04-03-2006, 06:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal in oil

Ok guys I just did a cam swap and I changed my oil on Sat. I was at the hobby shop on base when I pulled the plug I dropped it in the huge funnel that is attached to a 55 gal drum that is for catching used oil. Well when I got the plug off the screen it had metal and some sort of gasket material on it. I think the stuff was probably in the funnel but I won't know for sure until I change oil again. If the stuff is from my cam swap what could be damaged?
Old 04-03-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Default How about...

Originally Posted by Scrappy
Ok guys I just did a cam swap and I changed my oil on Sat. I was at the hobby shop on base when I pulled the plug I dropped it in the huge funnel that is attached to a 55 gal drum that is for catching used oil. Well when I got the plug off the screen it had metal and some sort of gasket material on it. I think the stuff was probably in the funnel but I won't know for sure until I change oil again. If the stuff is from my cam swap what could be damaged?
Cutting the filter open?? Use a pair of tin snips, so there's no contamination. That would eliminate the "stuff in the funnel"...
Old 04-03-2006, 08:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately the filter is gone. I threw it waya Sat because I didn't think about cutting open the filter.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Exclamation Well.......

Originally Posted by Scrappy
Unfortunately the filter is gone. I threw it waya Sat because I didn't think about cutting open the filter.
A suggestion, for all owners of modified cars.. Buy a filter cutter, and ALWAYS look at the filter, at every oil change. Cheap, preventative maintenence.
POWERHOUSE has a nice one, for not alot of $$.

Search this Thread