Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant in the cylenders

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 01:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coolant in the cylenders

Not an LS1, but I figure in this circumstance, an engine is an engine. My daily driver had been acting up lately so I took it in to check for any codes. Well, I had a fouled plug, so the plugs and wires were replaced. A couple of days later I had another plug foul, and their was an orange tent on the fouled plug. I showed it to my mechanic, and he said it looked like coolant. How in the hell would coolant get into a cylinder? My mech. said there is either a crack in the head or a blown head gasket. Now if I drive the car for more than, let's say 20 min., it starts to overheat. but it idles normal and accelerates normal except for the overheating issue. I just can't grasp how a blown cylinder head or cracked head would leak coolant into the cylinder, and cause the car to overheat. Any tech guys out there that can explain it to me, it would be greatly appreciated.
Aaron
Old 04-04-2006, 03:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Step number one should be to get the system pressure tested. I don't know anything about the mystic engine but generally there is more pressure in the cylinder than in the cooling system so a leak from a headgasket or crack won't foul a plug because it's pushing pressure into the cooling system, not allowing coolant to leak in. If there are coolant lines in the intake, you may have a leak there allowing coolant in. Check with Ford, there may be common problems with that engine that they can fill you in on.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well if the coolant system can't hold pressure then the boiling point goes way down and you overheat. The system is designed to run under a certain pressure, and if you have a head gasket problem then you lose pressure. If you keep driving the car and over heating it then you can warp the head or the block. Have a machine shop check over the head when you or your mechanic tears it down.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Your mechanic is right, probably a blown headgasket. If the car got really hot at one time or another it could also have a cracked head. Coolant will leak into the cylinder when the engine is not running. It could also make the engine hard to turn over at times and will possibly lead to hydrolock and a bent rod eventually on startup....

The headgasket provides the seal between the combustion chamber (cylinder) and the water jacket. Hope this helps.....
Old 04-19-2006, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Excuse my ignorance, but can I not just replace the head gasket or is my engine really shot?
Old 04-20-2006, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

You just need to check the head and block over for straightness or any cracks. If everything checks out then just follow the manufactuer install instruction to put it back together.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:25 AM
Launching!

you got to take it apart to see if anythings cracked or warped.
most likely its just a head gasket.
i busted my head gasket because I overheated my car.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:37 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
probably a blown headgasket......
That is what I was thinking as well. Makes sense though.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:37 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ezrollin
you got to take it apart to see if anythings cracked or warped.
most likely its just a head gasket.
i busted my head gasket because I overheated my car.
Was this a stock gasket?