Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plugs For Darts Confused

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 09:31 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely the gasketed plug wasnt tightened, it will go in .025-.030 more when the gasket compresses.

There is some shrouding on either plug. Thr TR55 has a slightly more projected electrode also. Neither will make bit of difference in HP output, the more retracted electrode plug will run a little cooler though.

Yes there is a taper cut in the Dart head's plug hole, doesnt look much different then a stock head really except being a little narrower of a margin and most likely the tapered seat plugss would be OK, my guess is they want gasketed plugs because someone who changes plugs a lot and is a little heavy handed on the ratchet they could do some damage..

I needed to change plugs anyhow, the TR6s were in the last motor with a year and nearly 200 passes on, I stuck them in here and they still worked fine so I left them in They were all tight and nothing was leaking and most likely would have been fine..
Old 04-06-2006, 09:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BOTTLE ROCKET
What about the guys that are spraying??

I spray on denso iridiums.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

OK, after a lot of looking, the Denso Iridium part number appears to be IK20. However, the supplied gap is 0.044. Is there any need to re-gap since it seems Denso doesn't really want you to or recommend it.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, never re-gap an Iridium plug!!!! If you re-gap the plug, you run the risk of snapping off the iridium tip.

You are correct, gasketed Denso's are K's, tapered Denso's are T's.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They have been ordered
Old 04-10-2006, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Malihoochie
A tech sheet can be e-mailed to any of you that may not have received one with your heads. The tech sheet has spark plugs rec's, etc. For some reason it doesn't appear on our site either (?) but we'll get that fixed asap.
Can I get one too....sending P.M. with e-mail address
Old 04-10-2006, 04:15 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The electrode height on the TR55 is going to be greater than the "6" series plug. The TR55 will naturally stick out more.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Default Spark plugs

Originally Posted by MSURacing
That tapered seat looks way better to me!!! Look at the shrouding that is going on with that gasketed one!!!

Guys, there is nothing wrong with tapered seats. In fact, I prefer them.
the plug on the left only sits back because it wasnt tightened to crush the washer. By accident the head was machined with the taper, and will work woth the stock style plug, however the depth isnt really right for a tapered plug to get into the chamber far enough, with a projected nose plug it will more than likely work just fine.

We (Dart) have always used gasket seat on aluminum, it is stronger, and better sealing. Along time ago when I started working for Dart our Big Block aluminum heads used the tapered seat plugs, but the selection on cost for racing style plugs was through the roof, and in real racing applications the .460 reach wasnt enough. Now there are tapered .708 reach plugs, then there wasnt. SO we made it standard to use the .750 gasketed seat plugs. If you choose to use the tapered seat plugs, its your choice, it wont hurt anything, our machinist and engineers looked at it and there is no harm that will be done using the other plugs.

Thanks
John

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs For Darts Confused