Sponsored by:

broken dipstick tube

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken dipstick tube

99 silverado 5.3

I was in the process of pulling the dipstick tube on this engine and it must have been seized because it broke off just below the o-ring. I really dont want to pull the pan to get the remainder of the tube out so I am thinking of just driving it on through and installing the new tube, my thinking is that it should lay in the bottom of the pan and not bother anything. But I am not familiar with the inner workings of this engine I assume the oil pump is screened and probably a windage tray to prevent it from some how flying up into the rotating assy.. I have to admit I dont like the idea of doing this but I dont want to pull the pan and I dont see what it will hurt to stay in there.

So does anyone have any suggestions or comments.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you are lucky you could drain the oil and maybe it would fall out with the oil
Old 04-07-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

same thing happened to me, it pulled out next oil change on the end of the drain plug magnet.o and i dint bother changing the dipstick either, alot of cars dont have o-rings
on the dipstick, just put a little rtv on it if you want
Old 04-08-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fast98
same thing happened to me, it pulled out next oil change on the end of the drain plug magnet.o and i dint bother changing the dipstick either, alot of cars dont have o-rings
on the dipstick, just put a little rtv on it if you want
No O ring on the dip stick is almost like running with the oil cap off or pcv open. It allows unmetered air to enter the engine bypassing the maf and IAT. The air enters the dipstick hole, then gets pulled through the PCV into the intake since its no longer a sealed vacuum in the crank case. Not a problem if you run breathers and removed your PCV, but otherwise it could throw a few gremlins into you tune at low airflow.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Default air flow

not to dis ya guy but I dont think there is a chance in hell that air is going to flow through between the dipstick tube and the crankcase. It is my beleif that that o-ring is to prevent an oil leak and as tight as the steel tube fits into the crankcase it is going to seal any outside air from coming in especially with a little gunk build up that is probably there already. But I have been wrong before. So anybody else got any thoughts on this.

fred
Old 04-08-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
No O ring on the dip stick is almost like running with the oil cap off or pcv open. It allows unmetered air to enter the engine bypassing the maf and IAT. The air enters the dipstick hole, then gets pulled through the PCV into the intake since its no longer a sealed vacuum in the crank case. Not a problem if you run breathers and removed your PCV, but otherwise it could throw a few gremlins into you tune at low airflow.
it really doesnt matter what amount of air gets into the crankcase. cause everything is metered anyways. the pcv valve can only flow so much air and the pcm knows what that is. the only way its gunna flow more is if you pressurize the crankcase.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fast98
it really doesnt matter what amount of air gets into the crankcase. cause everything is metered anyways. the pcv valve can only flow so much air and the pcm knows what that is. the only way its gunna flow more is if you pressurize the crankcase.
Thats simply not true. The intake pulls a vacuum inside the crankcase under normal operation. If the crankcase is no longer sealed, air will be pulled through the PCV and directly into the intake. This bypasses the MAF, the throttlebody, and the intake air control motor no longer has absolute control of running airflow. Wether or not it becomes a real world problem is up in the air, however the fact is that the air leaking in is not metered.

Quick Reply: broken dipstick tube