Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

push the oil pan forward?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default push the oil pan forward?

Here's my situation- When I did my cam install a friend tightened the oil pan bolts(installed upgraded oil pump) and appearently he stripped out the long rear 2 bolts, obviousley I now have a oil leak. I was told to Helicoil them to correct this problem but due to their legnth this is not possible, so I was wondering if I dropped the oil pan would I be able to slide it far enough forward to gain access to the bolt holes in the block, I will have the tranny out to do the clutch so if I have to I'll jack the motor up but I was trying to guesstimate how much time I have to spend on someone elses lift, I only have a couple of hours. whatcha think? Possible w/out lifting the motor?
Old 04-07-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remove the oilpan, drill and helicoil the block.. its not "too long", the pan must be off to do that.

while you're there with the trans off, if theres an oil leak, replace the rear main seal, and rear cover gasket.. that will fix the leak and prevent a new one in the near future.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
remove the oilpan, drill and helicoil the block.. its not "too long", the pan must be off to do that.

while you're there with the trans off, if theres an oil leak, replace the rear main seal, and rear cover gasket.. that will fix the leak and prevent a new one in the near future.
I just replaced the rear main 6 or 7 thousand mi. ago. The problem is I don't think there is enough room to slide the oil pan forward without pulling the motor mounts and jacking up the motor
Old 04-08-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm sure there isn't a person on this site who does not know that the LS1/LS6 oil pan is a structural component of the engine block. Proper fore & aft alignment of the oil pan with the block/rear cover is absolutely critical. I'll probably get this backwards, but I believe the rear face of the oil pan has to be .020" forward of the rear cover, and SQUARE with the rear cover. I do not have the manual in front of me right now, but there is a recommended sequence for installing/tightening the oil pan/cover bolts.

The M6 bolts holding the pan to the rear cover require only 106 Inch-lbs of torque.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The bolts you're discussing are the rear cover bolts. You don't have to touch the oil pan to pull that part. Just pull the bolts off of it while the tranny is off, and pop it off. The pan can stay just where it is.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Teching In

There seems to be some confusion about what I was asking. What I was trying to find out is if there is enough room to slide the oil pan forward so I can drill and tap the rear 2 oil pan bolts that are currently stripped out, then I will helicoil them and re-install the oil pan. I plan on doing this when I have the tranny out to fix the slave cylinder I was hoping to not have to loose the motor mounts and move the engine to gain access to the rear oil pan bolt holes in the block. Sooooo thanks for any info.. Mark
Old 04-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Launching!

I did the same thing when I replaced my oil pump (for no reason, btw, because the engine spun some bearings when the pump went) because I was using my brand new air ratchet and wasn't thinking. The car leaked oil like you would not believe. Not that this helps you but good luck
Doug
Old 04-09-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hangman
There seems to be some confusion about what I was asking. What I was trying to find out is if there is enough room to slide the oil pan forward so I can drill and tap the rear 2 oil pan bolts that are currently stripped out, then I will helicoil them and re-install the oil pan. I plan on doing this when I have the tranny out to fix the slave cylinder I was hoping to not have to loose the motor mounts and move the engine to gain access to the rear oil pan bolt holes in the block. Sooooo thanks for any info.. Mark
The confusion lies in that to repair the two bolt holes that you are referring to... you DO NOT have to pull the oil pan. Remove the pressure plate, clutch, and flywheel, and then remove the rear cover. The two long oil-pan bolts thread into the bottom of the rear cover, NOT the block.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xaon
The confusion lies in that to repair the two bolt holes that you are referring to... you DO NOT have to pull the oil pan. Remove the pressure plate, clutch, and flywheel, and then remove the rear cover. The two long oil-pan bolts thread into the bottom of the rear cover, NOT the block.
Ooooooohhhhhhhh now I get it!!! phwooo that should make things alot easier. Once again LS1TECH.com to the rescue thanks guys for the info!!!
Old 08-15-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to bring this up again. I just stripped one the these bolt threads tonight. My question is, how important is it. Could I just pull the bolt out and plug the hole so it wont leak. This is obviously a temp repair and will be fixed soon but to get me going it would be worth it?

Im talking abour the long bolt.