Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking, Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So say it is a lifter, can i just leave it till it goes?? i dont have the time, and i'm not sure if i'd even want to pull the heads myself. i guess i'll just start driving the car again, it is a very faint sound that is going to bug the hell out of me. But say the lifter does fail, what would happen?
Old 04-23-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

If it were a lifter, would there be related oil pressure problems?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:28 AM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Bump.

Interesting thread. I'm curious for the info too. Did you find anything elsewhere Pewter?
Old 05-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Teching In

My Corvette was ticking and thanks to this thread and all you guys from LS1tech I discovered that the tick was caused by a loose spark plug! Thanks for the help! I am relieved!
Old 05-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Default Ticking here as well!

I have an 01 Vette with the same exact noise everyone is talking about. It's driving me crazy (especially in parking garages) I hear it slightly from the top of the engine (close to the firewall) but gets much louder when I listen under the driver's front fender.

I haven't been able to figure it out either; I especially hear it if I lightly tap the gas at idle. I also hear it when I turn the ignition off... then it drones to a slow stop.. kind of like (tick tick tiiiick sshhhhh) of a lack of better ways to explain it. I've only owned this car for a month and has done it since at least then. Doesn't affect the car otherwise (except a vibration around 2000 RPM's but is probably unrelated... it just resonates the car at that range) It also almost completely disappears after about 2000 RPM's.... Hmmm.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default no one wants to tackle this?!

Hey I'm new to this forum. My 01 ss w/42K makes this noise too. It's really frustrating as i went through all the acessory pullys to see if they had play and i changed the ones that had even the slightest fraction of noise. NO avail. Changed the oil. Nothing.

So I said screw it and i'm going to get a GM "hot" cam, a really, really mild cam with 219/222 at like .520 lift, get some 1.8 needle bearing rockers, new lifters, push rods, retainers and springs.BUt here is my real question I thought that the valve train work I want to do and the parts i want to install would REDUCE valve float and make the train more durable, I never spin past 6K so would someone tell me if this would be a decent setup with a nice tune? Or would i need to add more bolt ons to make it worth while? Would i be able to do a bowl job on these heads then a little porting and get a grand total of close to 410-430 hp? the catch is I want to run the phoo out of this little set up so I need to know if these parts will = less valve float and get rid of that STUPID tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap

the plan is to mildy upgrade motor first, move on to suspension, drive train, and buy a few nice non motor parts and then when i hit 85k or so dump that motor and get a stoker with mean heads and cam
Old 05-09-2006, 06:32 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maestro300
I have an 01 Vette with the same exact noise everyone is talking about. It's driving me crazy (especially in parking garages) I hear it slightly from the top of the engine (close to the firewall) but gets much louder when I listen under the driver's front fender.

I haven't been able to figure it out either; I especially hear it if I lightly tap the gas at idle. I also hear it when I turn the ignition off... then it drones to a slow stop.. kind of like (tick tick tiiiick sshhhhh) of a lack of better ways to explain it. I've only owned this car for a month and has done it since at least then. Doesn't affect the car otherwise (except a vibration around 2000 RPM's but is probably unrelated... it just resonates the car at that range) It also almost completely disappears after about 2000 RPM's.... Hmmm.
Based on hearing it louder *under* the fender, I'd say it sounds like the exhaust leak people have mentioned before.

But I don't really know, I'm trying to find the source of noise that just suddenly started on my LOW mileage engine, that has never been abused, as well.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default ah

yeah i guess that's a really bad case of thread hi jacking
Old 05-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Default Exhaust leak?

If it is an exhaust leak-- is there a common place that this happens? Headers not seated correctly? Where else can I look for it? At the rate of the ticking, it would only be off one cylinder.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

maybe a collector, do you have headers?
Old 05-12-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

well I actually found one of my pass side plugs to be loose, although there is still a slight ticking, thats different from what it was, I'm assuming its a noisey valve train, when and if it gets louder i'll worry, for now its real light and can't be heard under a loud or while driving. So untill then i'll try to ignore it.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:40 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting. That's something I'll have to check.

For me, what I heard was what sounded exactly like a noisy valvetrain, however, I had not heard that sound before, not even that morning. It just started. Well, to be more precise, I hadn't heard it with the hood closed, let alone within the car.

That has me concerned.

I am curious about the answer to your questions at the top of this page though. Hopefully some kind person will enlighten us.