Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cal Legal & Performance ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cal Legal & Performance ???

I have a 2000 T/A WS6 that has been down for some time now. I threw a rod through the block & Oil pan. Before it blew, I was running a custom 226/224 cam, LT headers, No cats, new upgraded tranny and a bunch of other small mods. it made 410 rwhp and 396tq sae corrected and I was happy with that. Now that I'm have the $$$ to put a motor back in, I would like to have something that's smog legal...I know it totally sucks . What are some combinations I can go with that will be smog legal, but also make great power? I've been looking at all kinds of short/long blocks and there's so much to choose from. Also being that I would need cats, what about an electric cutout placed right above them?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Old 04-18-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cal Legal & Performance ??? = Oxymoron

Seriously, there are some good options. Blowers and Turbos are the easiest. You'll have to stay with Shorties, not sure if there are any CARB legal mid lengths.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

There are no smog legal mid-lengths for the same reason there aren't any smog legal LT's. If you really want to be legal, you'll have to use CARB legal shorty headers. It's not a good idea and there won't even be room to put cutouts before the cats on a shorty header setup. With the high flowing cats out there now days, there isn't really even a reason not to run cats. Magnaflow is comming out with CARB compliant high flow metallic cats that flow 600 cfms. Not sure what a straight 3" piece of pipe flows, but it can't be much more than that. Also I'm sure you know the cam you were running won't work well with shorty headers and cats. You might look into something along the lines of the cheaTR cam.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:39 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Forced Induction
Old 04-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Hey man, Sean Spec'd my cam too. I too have pacesetters, how do you have your cats setup with your LT's? Have u smogged it like that yet?

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
There are no smog legal mid-lengths for the same reason there aren't any smog legal LT's. If you really want to be legal, you'll have to use CARB legal shorty headers. It's not a good idea and there won't even be room to put cutouts before the cats on a shorty header setup. With the high flowing cats out there now days, there isn't really even a reason not to run cats. Magnaflow is comming out with CARB compliant high flow metallic cats that flow 600 cfms. Not sure what a straight 3" piece of pipe flows, but it can't be much more than that. Also I'm sure you know the cam you were running won't work well with shorty headers and cats. You might look into something along the lines of the cheaTR cam.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

What about cal smog, and bigger cubes? I've seen some 408 packages that are pretty tempting...
Old 04-18-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mike22ca
Hey man, Sean Spec'd my cam too. I too have pacesetters, how do you have your cats setup with your LT's? Have u smogged it like that yet?
I have the TSP catted Y with magnaflow cats. I haven't had to smog it yet, but I think it should pass the sniffer next year. If not, I think I can get around it. The cam Shaun spec'd me shouldn't be a problem. You could always try welding in some cat's and just screwing the visual, but I don't know if your cam would pass. What LSA is it on?
Old 04-27-2006, 02:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

last i was told 226/224 barely fails the legal limit but you can get close too 400 hp with a smoglegal setup and shortie headers without using FI or NOS, hard to do but i was told it can be done, check with synergy motorsports in the bay or force fed performance near sac regarding this. good luck
Old 04-27-2006, 04:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Good shorties, CheaTR cam, AFR heads can land you over 400rwhp for sure.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
I have the TSP catted Y with magnaflow cats. I haven't had to smog it yet, but I think it should pass the sniffer next year. If not, I think I can get around it. The cam Shaun spec'd me shouldn't be a problem. You could always try welding in some cat's and just screwing the visual, but I don't know if your cam would pass. What LSA is it on?
They normally say your questionable with anything over a 224/224 114. I've seen guys pass, but its all in your tune at that point. My car passes easily with the 224/224 114. CA sucks...
Old 04-27-2006, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Good shorties, CheaTR cam, AFR heads can land you over 400rwhp for sure.
Assuming 400 rwhp is enough for you.

Any more then I would highly recommend FI.

Brian