Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston slap revisited

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston slap revisited

P.S. goes away entirely with a new, balanced and forged bottom end.

For all of those posts about suing GM for this..........the only reason my motor was rebuilt was not a failure at all, and nothing related to piston slap. The motor was overhauled due to affordability and done for longevity because of the amount of miles it's been raced.

In fact, the stock pistons looked fine. The rings on the other hand were all stuck and as a buddy who helped tear the motor down said it looked like it had "13 yrs of snot all over them"

My 2001 had it, it was subtle and never hurt the motor or performance, just glad it's gone and the motor is going to last years with very good internals.

Props to my fiance and LS1tech member BLUEBALLS ZZ and our Friend Mechman (also the 2 guys who build Loudmouth LS1's 9 second motor) for pulling the motor, the tear down and rebuilding it they day the block came back and getting it back in the car in 1 week. You guys, rock!!

New motor pics.

Block with crank after machine work

Honed

LS6 casting #

Head studs in

Z06 clutch with Kevlar, approx 16K miles daily driven and launched between 3500-4900K (depending on track) looks brand new

Last edited by racer88; 04-18-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sweet man, congrats. I'm glad got your car put together right!
Old 04-19-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rescue Ranger
sweet man, congrats. I'm glad got your car put together right!
The two guys who did the work are very fluent with LS1's, my fiance could put a motor together blind folded he's rebuilt his so many times.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

What kind of bottom end did you go with, and what were the tolerances for piston-to-wall, rod, and main bearing clearances?

Jason
Old 04-19-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro99SS
What kind of bottom end did you go with, and what were the tolerances for piston-to-wall, rod, and main bearing clearances?

Jason
I only know the bearings across were 1.5 and the motor is pretty tight as described with excellent oil pressure. As for the pistons and cylinder walls.......no clue but it's basically a 347 now.

We used Oliver lightweight rods and JE pistons with JE rings, crank is still my original stock one. ARP main and head bolts. Changed cam, the oil pump, motor mounts, gaskets and timing chain as well.