Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can oil pump go bad? or is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default How can oil pump go bad? or is it?

I just got to starting my car, Turbo charged 5.3 in my Nova. no oil pressure and rockers started ticking.
I took the pump out, the o-ring is still in tact and perfectly in place. The oil pump looks perfect inside and even has some oil in it. But the timing chain and everything looks very dry so I can tell no oil was getting anywhere.

The pump itself looks pretty simple and I dont see how it could fail unless it had extensive wear or something. but it looks smooth and new inside.

My pickup tube was in place perfectly, o-ring was fine, new oil filter which is still full of oil, oil was full, even a little over.

Why no presessure and what on these pumps fail??

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how they fail is quite simple. inside the pump there is a spring and a lil valve if you would call it that. it will get grimed up and wont allow it to build pressure. also with not changing oil it will get wear marks on it and then cause it to wedge itself. by disasembling it and throughly cleaning it and then fixing any burrs or whatnot then lubing it up some so it slides up and down freely will fix the pressure. also if the spring is worn might need to replace it. if you can upgrade from the standard tan spring to the blue spring. that is the only difference in the two pumps that GM offers. blue is for the LS6 pump and tan is for the ls1 pump

also some say to pack the pump with vasiline to help in aid of start up. i for my first ported pump just used cam lube and the two pumps i ported today i packed it with vasline
Old 04-19-2006, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure it has the galley plug on the back of the motor.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:31 PM
Launching!

Was the engine fresh with a brand new oil pump? When my oil pump went out and I swapped it, I looked inside hoping to see broken pieces of metal or something obvious. I saw nothing. New pump went in, and after five minutes of idling, the oil pan drain bolt was covered in bearing material and the engine was getting louder every second. Best of luck to ya though
Old 04-28-2006, 04:56 AM
Launching!

Make sure you have the correct o-ring in there too. I switched to a truck pan and pickup and it required a differnt o-ring than the f-body...no oil pressure but found the problem before any damage.

Quick Reply: How can oil pump go bad? or is it?