Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve spring troubles... solid roller

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Valve spring troubles... solid roller

I bought some used FMS stage 3 ls6 heads and they came set up for a solid roller. The thing is the springs that were on the heads were for a smaller solid roller(240/249, .63X/.62X i think its around here somewhere). But I decided to go much larger(259/267, .705/.702) soo I went with K motion 1150 springs... which is what FMS said to run. So I took the heads to the ole machine shop to have em swapped out. The guys pulled one of the old springs off and asked me if there is a difference in the springs... Well I was not under the impression that there should be being that the heads were already set up for a solid roller. So he took one of the old ones and put it up against the new ones and they are about .250" taller than the old ones. Which I can understand do to the 240lb seat pressure of these springs.. and like 180 or something like that of the old ones.

BUT my big question is.... should coil bind come into play here and me have to change valves and **** just to get the right install height??? We checked the actual install height I just can't remember the numbers

I really hope not b/c I've been working on this thing WAY too long.

Josh S.

I guess I'll have to go put the heads on and actually check for coil bind I guess ehh
Old 04-24-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to get all the specs for the springs you are going to use . Just because they were setup for solid roller doesn't mean you can use any spring , different diameters , different installed heights , and different seat and open pressure . Trying to use a spring designed for a higher installed height will make your seat pressure really high . Post up as much info as you can such as old spring specs as they are installed on the heads , new spring specs , and anything else you can come up with .
Old 04-26-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats the problem... i cant get a hold of the people who put the heads together to know what kind of springs they are or anything else. I do know the diameters are the same... and I don't even remember the install height on the heads but we checked it the other day and I didnt write it down like I should have