Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What you Think About LS6 Heads And Cam On LS1

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 01:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What you Think About LS6 Heads And Cam On LS1

i know that the LS1 in the 04 gto is bsicly the same as the LS6 in the 04 ZO6 but i want to know what kind of HP im looking at with the heads and cam, some have said 350, so if i get some modded heads and a slightly modded cam can i get to 400 with just the heads and cam, as well as rocker arms and valves and such, just looking for opinions, i wanna be able to drive the car without worrying about any problems and be able to pass smog.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default eh?

Originally Posted by powerman_dsr
i know that the LS1 in the 04 gto is bsicly the same as the LS6 in the 04 ZO6
No it isn't the LS1 in the GTO is a LS1 not a LS6. So it's got about 345bhp same as a C5 Corvette. The LS6 has different cam/heads and I think slightly higher CR (not sure on this one) plus which means it produces 405bhp SAE Net. If you simply add the LS6 heads and cam to your LS1 you can expect similar results, although a lower CR would mean slightly less bhp.

In the UK we had the Monaro (the GTO is a re-badged Monaro), the VXR variant in 2004 had a LS1 but was rated at 385bhp, I'm not sure how this was acheived but using LS6's heads and cam on a lower CR engine may have been one possible route.

Check out some of the sponsors ----> such as Texas Speed & Performance, they offer CNC ported LS6 heads for not a lot of money, get these along with a decent cam (not to wild or emissions will be an issue) and some good supporting bolt on's and you should be able to see some decent gains producing more power than a stock LS6 engine.

Also take a look at Thunder Racing they offer a cam that is designed to work well with stock headers so should be good for you CA guys.

Originally Posted by powerman_dsr
but i want to know what kind of HP im looking at with the heads and cam, some have said 350, so if i get some modded heads and a slightly modded cam can i get to 400 with just the heads and cam, as well as rocker arms and valves and such, just looking for opinions, i wanna be able to drive the car without worrying about any problems and be able to pass smog.
N.B. - All manufacturer claimed HP figures are SAE Net, this means they are at the flywheel conforming to standards laid out by the Society of Automotive Engineers. Rolling Road dyno's will show you HP at the rear wheels and are not generally corrected to the same SAE standards, also different rolling roads derive HP differently causing the numbers to be very miss-leading. Just something to watch for when talking HP numbers.