Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rockers prudent with heads/cam swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rockers prudent with heads/cam swap?

My 02 z06 has 15,500 miles on them.

When swapping in new 205 AFR heads with G5x3 cam, would it be prudent to use the rockers on my old OEM heads or should I order brand new rockers?

I was told it was ok to use the rockers off my stock z06 heads...but some vette buddies suggest I should get new ones.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people do not realize just how good the General's LS1 OEM rockers are. They are strong, light, and use roller bearing fulcrums, so they operate smoothly and reliably at hi RPM.

The SLP 1.85 rocker is the identical design (besides the ratio, of course), and is built by the same company that produces the General's OEM rockers.

Your OEM rockers will work fine....just make sure you get a set of hardened, aftermarket pushrods (Comp Hi-Tech chrome moly) when replacing your cam.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, DON'T believe the crap about "seating" your lifters in the lifter tray by rotating your OEM cam one full turn, pulling the cam out, and then installing the new cam. Remove the lifters and their trays FIRST, and then remove your OEM cam. I'm sure some people have gotten away with this trick, but if you try it, and you hear one of your lifters drop, and rattle around on top of the windage tray, you're in for some extra work. Take a good, close look at your front cam bearing, too.

Sounds like a sweet set-up....you should make good power those heads & cam.