Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1->LS6 engine swap on 99 Z28.. questions, esp about emissions and EGR

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1->LS6 engine swap on 99 Z28.. questions, esp about emissions and EGR

Since my engine is more or less toast, I'm looking to get it replaced with a LS6 service engine from GM performance parts and start new with a fresh engine.

Anyways, I was wondering, am I going to run into any emissions testng problems? Off hte top of my head, the EGR isn't really used on the new LS6's, compared to my 99 LS1.. Is it a simple thing to "delete" EGR and still have it pass OBDII emisison checks (computer readout check)?
Any other wierd things using a 99 LS1 PCM to control a LS6?

Was wondering if I need to also replace my injectors with slighlty bigger ones? I know the 99 LS1's used smaller injectors.. did GM switch back over to the slightly bigger ones?
Old 04-26-2006, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

You shouldnt have any problems i put a 04 Z06 engine in my 98z i have no problems at all with the computer. I eliminated the EGR AC and AIR pump for emissions still using my 98 ls1 injectors this may i might be taking it to a shop to get the car tuned. Also i gotta take it to emissions but its done by the computer here in CT so its not a tailpipe test. I just got get the codes fixed. And i dont think if it where a tailpipe test there wouldnt be much of a diffrence between ls1 and a ls6.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98z28chevy
You shouldnt have any problems i put a 04 Z06 engine in my 98z i have no problems at all with the computer. I eliminated the EGR AC and AIR pump for emissions still using my 98 ls1 injectors this may i might be taking it to a shop to get the car tuned. Also i gotta take it to emissions but its done by the computer here in CT so its not a tailpipe test. I just got get the codes fixed. And i dont think if it where a tailpipe test there wouldnt be much of a diffrence between ls1 and a ls6.
Cool. What exactly is "getting the codes fixed?" Do you goto a shop that can permently delete them? Or do you have a tool that can delete them yourself?

Oregon does it by computers too. They are a pain.. Our beater Tracker car had an error code about the neutral safety switch , nothing about emissions, but they wouldn't pass it cause it was a code set off. blah.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You'll need a set of bigger injectors and you might as well get a bigger pump also.
98's have 28.8 lbs injector VS 26.4 for 99.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ynneK
Cool. What exactly is "getting the codes fixed?" Do you goto a shop that can permently delete them? Or do you have a tool that can delete them yourself?

Oregon does it by computers too. They are a pain.. Our beater Tracker car had an error code about the neutral safety switch , nothing about emissions, but they wouldn't pass it cause it was a code set off. blah.

Check out HPtuners.com. You're able to turn off, and adjust the codes you feel your car needs to display, monitor, and report problems/set the check engine light. For instance, on my old GTP, I installed an air-water intercooler under the stock blower, and removed the entire EGR system for the reason that I didn't want Carbon dirtying up my $700 IC core. Read the PCM, turned off all of the codes for the EGR system, and reflashed the PCM. Same thing for the o2 behind where the cat was. As far as my car's PCM knew, there wasn't an EGR system anymore, nor was there a cat.

It just went in for OBDII Emissions Testing last week with the new owner, and passed with no problem. Sure, it stunk like 100 octane, but there were no codes.