Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smoking at startup and idle.....

Old 04-27-2006, 05:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default smoking at startup and idle.....

Alright.....here is the deal. Every time i start my car after it is already warm it puffs smoke out the exhaust. Also when i am sitting at a light i can see smoke going by me.....same color.....and it smells rich. It is kind of a blueish/black smoke. Now after i put the cam in my sig in i had a "partial tune" done.....(just enough to get it to not surge) then i put on the headers and duals and am scheduling a date to get a full tune. What i'm wondering is: is the smoke just from the car running that rich due to the lack of tune and the 110LSA? Or are my valve seals the culprit? Another thing i thought of would be oil getting into my intake.....? (I dont have a catch can). So do ya'll think it will clear up after the tune? or is there something else i should be looking into?

P.S.- The car i am talking about is in the sig......

Thanks!
Brent
Old 04-27-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did you replace the valve seals when you did the new valve springs?
Old 04-27-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like valve seals or valve guides if the smoke is white..if its black smoke it is runnin rich and a tune should make it go away
Old 04-27-2006, 06:44 PM
12 Second Club

yes i did replace the valve seals when i did the cam swap. I hope the tune will make it go away. I guess i'll just pull the valve covers and take a look-see and then get the tune done and see what happens.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

prolly didnt install a valve seal correctly...been there done that
Old 04-27-2006, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ping King
prolly didnt install a valve seal correctly...been there done that
When you say not installed correctly what do you mean? I'm asking b/c after we did my seals we read somewhere that you are supposed to hear the seals "snap" into place almost. And when we put them on we just pushed them til they looked like they bottomed out. Is this sort of what you went through?
Old 04-27-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is a very common problem with red z28's running a 230/230 .591/.591 110LSA +4 cam ... in fact I know of one in town that does the exact same thing

Cammed cars will smoke on start up, I didn't touch my seals, and everytime I start up my car it smokes ... its b/c on cold start ups, and start ups in general the car adds fuel. Get the car tuned ... and I'm sure the majority of your smoke will dissappear. As for the smoking at a redlight after the cars warm, your either way too rich - or we'll have to replace the seals.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FstBlkz28
This is a very common problem with red z28's running a 230/230 .591/.591 110LSA +4 cam ... in fact I know of one in town that does the exact same thing

Cammed cars will smoke on start up, I didn't touch my seals, and everytime I start up my car it smokes ... its b/c on cold start ups, and start ups in general the car adds fuel. Get the car tuned ... and I'm sure the majority of your smoke will dissappear. As for the smoking at a redlight after the cars warm, your either way too rich - or we'll have to replace the seals.

thats pretty crazy you have a car with the exact same cam, color and problem as me!

I'm sure the tune will clear up a great majority of the problem but i was just making sure. Do you think doing a catch can or pcv delete will help any? Btw...the car is DEFINATELY way rich! I have stopped even worrying about cologne.....b/c no matter what i try i always end up smelling like gas and exhaust when i get somewhere!
Old 04-29-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1powerhouse02
thats pretty crazy you have a car with the exact same cam, color and problem as me!

I'm sure the tune will clear up a great majority of the problem but i was just making sure. Do you think doing a catch can or pcv delete will help any? Btw...the car is DEFINATELY way rich! I have stopped even worrying about cologne.....b/c no matter what i try i always end up smelling like gas and exhaust when i get somewhere!
Lets pull your lid/filter off and shine a flash light into the intake manifold thru the TB to see if its oily in there. If it is - PCV delete or catch can will be helpful. If not, your the only **** that has a that doesn't inject oil
Old 04-29-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FstBlkz28

my car doenst smoke...i think its from when that car got beat an slow black a4 from a roll

Search this Thread