Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zero oil pressure @ idle????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006 | 04:19 AM
10 Second Club

Default Zero oil pressure @ idle????????

OK, before I get all the newbie questions. I have done this many times. I bought a rolling chassis, 99 SS. I purchased an 04 longblock that came out of a GTO with 9000 miles on it. I had to use my covers, oil pan, pickup tube etc. I installed a brand new o ring on the pump, lubed it so it slid in correctly. I used a used oil pressure sending unit that we had laying around the shop. Well I crank the engine tonight. 0 oil pressure @ idle. Get the RPMs up to 1500 and it has 40 psi. My guess is the sending unit could possibly be bad. I did not have a manual gauge to screw in and check it. There was no clatter of any kind like a engine would make if it were starving for oil. Also the lifters were bone dry when I cranked it and they primed up. My friend seems to think there is debris in the sending unit. I don't want to swap a oil pump that was perfectly fine when this engine was pulled from the goat, I find it hard to believe it went to **** sitting on the engine stand.... What are you guys opinions????? Thanks, wasn't trying to be a smartass in the begining of the thread, this just baffles me, b/c I was very meticulous as I've been many times before.
Old 04-29-2006 | 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

My guess would be it's more of a gauge thing. Are the 0 psi at idle on the cluster? You need to try and get your hands on a mechanical gauge. If the engine actually had no oil pressure, you'd probably hear it.
Old 04-29-2006 | 10:43 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah i'de try another sender first. if thats not it you might look ito the o ring being pinched, although thats doubtful since its hard to **** up an o ring on the engine stand.
Old 04-29-2006 | 02:44 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks guys, I think I would definatly know if this thing had 0 oil pressure.
Old 04-29-2006 | 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Manual gauges are cheap, I have one installed in place of my stock one
Old 04-29-2006 | 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you know what you're talking about so my guess is the sending unit too.
Old 04-29-2006 | 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

I hate to say it, but if the sender is good, could the pickup tube be too close to the bottom of the pan? It's easy for the support bracket to get bent and then the pickup is on the bottom of the pan.
Old 04-29-2006 | 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by INVISIBLEZ
Thanks guys, I think I would definatly know if this thing had 0 oil pressure.
obviously, you have some doubts, or you wouldn't have made this thread. have more faith in your skills, invisible. try a different sender and get a mechanical oil pressure gauge for your tool box.
Old 04-29-2006 | 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

you probably have a galley plug missing.
Old 04-29-2006 | 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic
20 Year Member

have you pulled the valve covers to verfiy that oil is indeed moving?

my guess would be a sending unit, but pulling a valve cover and seeing oil on teh valvetrain is a sure fire way of knowing that any oil is moving at all.

i have a guage setup made that bolts on to the block above the oil filter...its a mech gague for trouble shooting..works nicely.
Old 04-29-2006 | 11:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by racecar
I hate to say it, but if the sender is good, could the pickup tube be too close to the bottom of the pan? It's easy for the support bracket to get bent and then the pickup is on the bottom of the pan.

I checked that prior to bolting the pan on, I've had this occur before.

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
obviously, you have some doubts, or you wouldn't have made this thread. have more faith in your skills, invisible. try a different sender and get a mechanical oil pressure gauge for your tool box.
I have plenty of faith, when you start @ 9:00 a.m. and complete @ 3:00 a.m. the following morning, I'd say anyone would feel a tad bit wacked out. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-01-2006 | 12:29 AM
10 Second Club

I figured out the problem, long story short. My engine was on the stand @ a buddies shop. Well another car comes in for a engine swap. They could not get the plunger that was behind the rear cover out on the guys engine, so they went in mine and got it. I got a plunger today and put it in. Before you all bash my friend he apoligized a million times to me today. Luckily I caught it early, but then again I should have double checked everything, instead of assuming that all was still there. If the plunger is not in that oil galley hole it just basically dumps the oil as it's sucked up right back into the pan.
Old 05-01-2006 | 07:01 AM
TECH Resident

And if your bearings got toasted he owes you a motor of similar or better condition!!! You don't mess with other peoples stuff even if you have all intentions of putting something back. People get side tracked and forget and that's a honest mistake but still though.
Old 05-01-2006 | 08:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kossuth
And if your bearings got toasted he owes you a motor of similar or better condition!!! You don't mess with other peoples stuff even if you have all intentions of putting something back. People get side tracked and forget and that's a honest mistake but still though.
That is correct, I know he will go above and beyond if something is toast.
Old 05-01-2006 | 09:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

What is a plunger?
Old 05-01-2006 | 09:18 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 92zcamaroperson
What is a plunger?
It's a little white plug with and o-ring that goes on the left lower of the block right behind the rear cover.
Old 05-01-2006 | 11:04 AM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Only time ive seen that was when that bypass plug (the plastic looking dumbell thing) was left out behind the rear cover right above the rear main seal. youd give it gas and it would see pressure at idle no pressure. If its a block you bought the previous person may have taken it out. Thats what happened to me.

[

QUOTE=INVISIBLEZ]OK, before I get all the newbie questions. I have done this many times. I bought a rolling chassis, 99 SS. I purchased an 04 longblock that came out of a GTO with 9000 miles on it. I had to use my covers, oil pan, pickup tube etc. I installed a brand new o ring on the pump, lubed it so it slid in correctly. I used a used oil pressure sending unit that we had laying around the shop. Well I crank the engine tonight. 0 oil pressure @ idle. Get the RPMs up to 1500 and it has 40 psi. My guess is the sending unit could possibly be bad. I did not have a manual gauge to screw in and check it. There was no clatter of any kind like a engine would make if it were starving for oil. Also the lifters were bone dry when I cranked it and they primed up. My friend seems to think there is debris in the sending unit. I don't want to swap a oil pump that was perfectly fine when this engine was pulled from the goat, I find it hard to believe it went to **** sitting on the engine stand.... What are you guys opinions????? Thanks, wasn't trying to be a smartass in the begining of the thread, this just baffles me, b/c I was very meticulous as I've been many times before. [/QUOTE]
Old 05-01-2006 | 11:06 AM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default ....

Just noticed you figured it out same thing happened to me a couple of years ago......
Old 05-01-2006 | 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Giving credit where it is due; ChucksZ06 nailed it in one sentence while everyone was guessing something else unless a galley plug isn't the plunger mentioned. I hope he reads my questions when they come up....
Old 05-01-2006 | 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01Z28M6
Giving credit where it is due; ChucksZ06 nailed it in one sentence while everyone was guessing something else unless a galley plug isn't the plunger mentioned. I hope he reads my questions when they come up....

Very true. It was there, lol, until my engine was the easiest to steal it from..

Quick Reply: Zero oil pressure @ idle????????