Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Go Bye-Bye?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine Go Bye-Bye?

Ok all, i have a 98 Trans Am with 70k miles. Last year i did some minor upgrades: 4000vig stall, ls6 intake, 3:73 gears. Got a tune from Speed Inc(same time as first mods) for the gear, rear O2 delete, and up'd the trans pressure some. Took it to the track to see what it would do, and it ran around 12:80 or so. Heard a weird noise after the last run, sounded like a lifter or something. Drove back from Union Grove to chicago and didn't hit it hard cause didn't want to push the noise. Thought bent pushrod but all checked out ok on a piece of glass so put it in storage for the winter. Not bad a time i thought and got the urge for more.
Fast forward to this month. Put some new ported ls6 heads on, springs that can handle the cam i picked,(new head bolts), new MS3 cam, NEW lifters( 1 lifter looked like the bottom cup was fugged up some and thought I found the culprit from that ticking noise,), new hardened pushrods, 35lbs injectors, new blueprinted oil pump, new timing chain, slp pully, headers,off-road y pipe, cat back exhaust also.
Ok, everything's bolted on except the off-road y pipe didn't fit right and had a small exhaust leak when i started the beast up. Granted i still had the first tune and thought i would start the pig up and then get it another tune after stuff breaks in some. Ran the car for 30mins or so in park with oil pressure a steady 50-60lbs, everything seemed to be going cool...then the dreaded noise. It sounded like a 1-2 shift on an auto car and heard a "chirp", not a bang or a knock, sounded like a pully belt or something and the motor turned off by itself and it didn't want to start back up.
Car cranked over funny with the starter( but still cranks), so i put a 2foot 1/2 drive breaker bar on the balancer bolt and CAN'T get the motor to turn over by hand. I'm like wtf, so i pull ALL the belts off, sparkplugs out and still can't turn it over by hand.
Plugs looked rich as expected without a new tune. All the rockers go up/down on the cam, Ran out of daylight to check and see if the starter is holding the motor back. Could the starter be the problem or some other god forsaken issue. Let's hear your theories on my new nightmare...
Old 05-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Launching!

good luck finding your answer. sounds weird
Old 05-04-2006, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

I bet it's the starter...

The the starter cranks the motor over but you can't do it by hand, maybe the start is stuck open or enganged.

Welcome to the wonderful world of modded LS1's

Love,
Twin