Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing cam...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing cam...

ok guys i am thinking about changing the cam in my camaro cause i think that my turbo plans for this year are out the window...
so i think that i will purchase a used trex and install.

The parts i am going to use most likely are...

patriot dual springs
7.4" hardened pushrods
Ls2 timing chain
Trex cam(obviously)

and i think that is all that i am going to swap out...

i know i should consider a ported pump...but i am not sure that i am going to go with it.

If there is anything else that i should strongly consider please feel free to let me know

Thanks
Louie
Old 05-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Rod bolts, the factory ones are a weak point. With a larger cam you will likely rev up more and the rods will take more load, therefore strengthen the weak spot on them.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:00 AM
TECH Resident

i thought the 01s had much better rod bolts...same as a Z06 that limits at i believe 6600...

If i am uncorrect let me know, or if even these are not strong enough that is understandable just want to konw.

Thanks
Louie
Old 05-06-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

I've read the same thing about the 01+ rod bolts.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me guess... your putting this into a dd street car w/342 rear end.
Dont do it would be my advice. OR get gears. This cam doesnt pull until at least 3500 rpms. The only way your gonna get your power is to keep the rpms high. Your gonna need a clutch as well. And them after a while I'd say a rear, due to the shock of hi rpm dumps to get the thing off the line. You'll get away with the 10 bolt and gears at first.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Let me guess... your putting this into a dd street car w/342 rear end.
Dont do it would be my advice. OR get gears. This cam doesnt pull until at least 3500 rpms. The only way your gonna get your power is to keep the rpms high. Your gonna need a clutch as well. And them after a while I'd say a rear, due to the shock of hi rpm dumps to get the thing off the line. You'll get away with the 10 bolt and gears at first.
nah i do my research...shell get 4.10s and i figure that i will need a new clutch soon as well.

Now maybe i should post what i am looking for cause i never read about anyone wanting what i want:

I want a fast roll car...or a high trapping 1/4 mile car. it is a DD but only about 20-25 miles a day on average.

i want a cam to be extremely well in a roll race, or on the highway. i want it to be a monster up top and work well with nitrous. i was going to go turbo...but the funds just arent there right now so cam+nitrous is what i am thinking. On another note i read what everyone says about all of the cams, as well as check in on what i want out of a cam and am almost thinking about going with the MS3 instead. but up top is where i want my power.

Louie