Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the stock shortblock handle this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 06:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can the stock shortblock handle this?

I'm looking for opinions. I have the following stuff ordered and I'm planning to have them installed by the end of this summer.

ETP 215 heads
Timing chain & pushrods
Custom Cam (still don't know exact specs but figure 228/234 114)
LS6 intake
SLP underdrive pulley
bolts, gaskets & fuel pump
150 NX wet kit
Dyno tune

I am estimating the RWHP to be 400-430 rwhp on motor and 550 (roughly) on spray. I was under the assumption that with the nitrous friendly cam specs, fuel pump upgrade and plugs that I would be GTG. Figuring 18% drivetrain loss this estimates my FWHP at about 650. I had someone in the N20 section tell me that my stock shortblock will go BOOM. Two questions:

Is this definately beyond the capabilities of the stock shortblock?

If I were to install this now (and the shortblock goes) will it likely destroy the heads in the process?

I wouldn't mind running the car as long as I can if there is a good chance the heads would still be ok to move over to a new forged motor when the time comes. But to need a new longblock is a bit more then I want to bargain for. In that case I'd be better saving all winter for a crate motor and starting the install next spring.

Am I just being paranoid? Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by darrensls1; 05-08-2006 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock internals can handle it as long as the tune is good. It can also be a hit or miss thing depending on the condition of the internals already.

If you throw the timing chain you will smash the pistons into the valves, which means you will need head work.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a bunch of people runing H/C/I, bolts on and 150 shot, with no problems to the bottom end ! Good luck !