Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changin pistons with engine in the car...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changin pistons with engine in the car...

ok guys i see that some people have changed their rod bolts with the engine still in the car...and if that can be done is there any reason why if/when you pull the rod bolts you cant just pop the pistons out of the top of the block and replace them with new ones?

thanks
Louie
Old 05-10-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

I would suspect you are going to upgrading your pistons, so you would need some machining on the block. So I would say no.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Launching!

I agree. Lost of possiblilties for error. Your piston walls could be out of round.
If there is too much clearance with the new piston you could get piston slap. The best way to do it is take pull the engine and send the block to the machine shop hand have it honed to the exact piston to cyclinder wall clearance. Get new file fit rings and have them gapped accordingly. New bearings, etc.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

If all you are going to do is re-ring the same pistons and put them back in the same orientation, then you can do it. There is a GM procedure for doing this to the oil burners. I wouldn't do it to put forged pistons in though. Even if the cylinders were round and you could match up your pistons to each hole, I would think there would be balance issues. I suppose you could replace the stock pistons with stock replacements if you matched the size to the cylinders, and the cylinders were still round, and you balanced each piston to it's removed counterpart. I wouldn't chance it on a motor I was building for performance, but you might get away with it for a beater. Lotsa ifs though.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to have to go with a no on this one. Just doesn't seem like a very bright thing to do.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

ok...just thought i would ask for future reference... merely a question for now, and i have my answer

Thanks
Louie