Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size is the main stud?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 03:31 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What size is the main stud?

Taking the engine apart and I've got the 10mm and 1/2" bolts out. I don't have any long sockets for the studs and need to buy one, but don't know what size it is. Does anybody know? Thanks.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:26 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

There shouldn't be any fractional fasteners on the Gen III/IV engines. A half inch wrench or socket (6 point or open end) will fit a 12 mm hex, but you'll round off the corners of the fastener, so don't do it.

On the main studs, are you talking about removing the nuts or removing the studs out of the block? If you are talking about removing the studs out of the block, after you loosten the nut initally, loosen it up a revolution or so away from the main cap and put another "jam" nut on top and tighten the two together using two wrenches or an open end and a socket. Then back the stud out by turning the bottom nut that is next to the main bearing cap.

Have you rebuilt an engine before? If not, I'd advise getting some help from someone who is knowledgable on this sort of thing.

All my best,

Steve
Old 05-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Banned

The main stud "ME" Im about a full nine inchs....lol
Old 05-10-2006, 08:28 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Steve Bryant
There shouldn't be any fractional fasteners on the Gen III/IV engines. A half inch wrench or socket (6 point or open end) will fit a 12 mm hex, but you'll round off the corners of the fastener, so don't do it.

On the main studs, are you talking about removing the nuts or removing the studs out of the block? If you are talking about removing the studs out of the block, after you loosten the nut initally, loosen it up a revolution or so away from the main cap and put another "jam" nut on top and tighten the two together using two wrenches or an open end and a socket. Then back the stud out by turning the bottom nut that is next to the main bearing cap.

Have you rebuilt an engine before? If not, I'd advise getting some help from someone who is knowledgable on this sort of thing.

All my best,

Steve
No, I was talking about just the nut. Thanks for the info on the stud though.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:22 PM
14 Second Truck Club

I went and bought some deep sockets tonight. It's a 15mm. Weird that it was a little loose on my 15mm wrench. Oh well, now I know.