Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finished cam install: ADVICE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006 | 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Default Just finished cam install: ADVICE!

For anyone attempting to do a cam install for their first time, I have some helpful things to let you all know...

First off, give yourself about 3 days (for something to go wrong, like it did with me)

-Check all of your parts over and over prior to install. Example 1: Comp cams titanium retainers, I got a bad one in the packet, good thing I spotted it, it wouldn't of cleared the rocker. Looked everywhere for them and found them last minute $250 later. I guess I need to call comp cams and see if I can exchange it for a good one, then I can sell the other 15 with it.

-If changing oil pump try to place the o-ring on the pickup tube and let the pump seat itself to the o-ring. I pinched it 4 times installing it the other way. If the way I did it was wrong, I apoligize for giving bad information, but it worked for me.

-Do not use compressed air in cylinders for changing valve springs, I dropped a valve with 85 PSI inside, Luckily the piston wasn't at the bottom and I was able to clip onto the valve with a pen magnet, and crank the motor over till it came back up.

-The JRP lifter tool available at thunder racing may not work for you car, I had a cast piece left in the block (or something along those lines, forgot how it was worded) and I was unable to use the tool for the passenger side, have a bunch of pen magnets ready if this were to happen to you.

I'm sure there will be more to add, but if anyone like me trying a cam install for the first time in their driveway. Keep some of this in mind, all of these here took up a lot of wasted time.