Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

patriot performance LQ9 heads

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006 | 09:26 PM
FormerVendor

The great thing about our Patriot Gold spring kit is that you don't have to break the bank to get the quality you need.
Old 05-24-2006 | 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This isnt really about the heads but are Jesel rocker arms, lifters and pushrods as top quality as they say they are? its waht im looking to get.
Old 05-25-2006 | 07:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Jesel adjustable rockers are some of the best but $$$
in the lifter department, morell seems to be the better ones but again $$$
and I'm partial to Comp Cam Hi Energy p-rods myself/
Old 05-25-2006 | 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Use dual golds all you like, I have my preference and you have yours. Like I said in another thread, my friend suffered engine failure. The only thing we can attribute it to was his use of the Dual Gold Patriots. What a waste, blowing a motor on the dyno. I will say this I could be wrong. But I am glad I used something else, my car is running fine, and his isn't running yet. Our setups were the same, but he used a different spring. So it makes me wonder, was it worth the couple hundred he saved?? Use whatever you like.
Old 05-25-2006 | 08:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Use dual golds all you like, I have my preference and you have yours. Like I said in another thread, my friend suffered engine failure. The only thing we can attribute it to was his use of the Dual Gold Patriots. What a waste, blowing a motor on the dyno. I will say this I could be wrong. But I am glad I used something else, my car is running fine, and his isn't running yet. Our setups were the same, but he used a different spring. So it makes me wonder, was it worth the couple hundred he saved?? Use whatever you like.
I think that Ive already asked once, was there proof there was spring failure? There has to be something else to it.
Old 05-25-2006 | 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

After we disassembled the engine, and separated the good from the bad, we found a bunch of springs in pieces, and 6 of the 8 pistons were wasted, and quite a few bent valves. The rods seemed to all be intact, and the heads are going to need some machining or replaced. For those who may speculate, he did not go lean and blow up, the ratio on the graph showed 13.0 to 1. Ideal numbers. Something went wrong.
Really really wrong. I can't wait until he can afford to put it back together. I am sure another few months he'll have the coin. I won't blame any particular item for the failure, but obviously there were multiple failures. Live and learn.
Old 05-25-2006 | 01:42 PM
FormerVendor

Once again, if you have an issue with any of our products, contact us directly.
Old 05-25-2006 | 05:31 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

After we disassembled the engine, and separated the good from the bad, we found a bunch of springs in pieces, and 6 of the 8 pistons were wasted, and quite a few bent valves. The rods seemed to all be intact, and the heads are going to need some machining or replaced. For those who may speculate, he did not go lean and blow up, the ratio on the graph showed 13.0 to 1. Ideal numbers. Something went wrong.
Really really wrong. I can't wait until he can afford to put it back together. I am sure another few months he'll have the coin. I won't blame any particular item for the failure, but obviously there were multiple failures. Live and learn.
maybe the locks were installed incorrectly, or the valves hit the pistons and bent the valves, causing retainer deflection, or maybe it was overrevved and the valvetrain went nuts and so on.
i cant see bashing patriot for ONE spring failure(if it even was)
valvetrain set up incorrectly. the list goes on and on. when i break a spring, ill eat crow.
have a happy day.
Old 05-25-2006 | 05:54 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

did you assemble that motor?
Old 05-26-2006 | 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

moparnos, What parts are you running in your engine, and waht TT setup did you go with. Also did you assemble your own engine or have it built. I am looking to build my own engine, Just looking for some other do it yourselfers out there that have tackled a major build. I think i should be ok considering i just graduated from automotive college, and i tore down my grand am 3.3 liter engine and bored and honed it myself and rebuilt it and the 3t40 transmission, and all seems to be well. But just looking for some other guys that might be able to give me some pointers i could remmeber for when its time to finally build.
Old 05-27-2006 | 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

since there was 6 out of 8 pistons wasted, my 1st thought would be pvc issues, even with a smaller cam you could have issues if you were a tooth off. Hard to believe that 6 pistons wasted that that would be 6 springs failing at the same time.
Old 05-28-2006 | 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fotoboy
since there was 6 out of 8 pistons wasted, my 1st thought would be pvc issues, even with a smaller cam you could have issues if you were a tooth off. Hard to believe that 6 pistons wasted that that would be 6 springs failing at the same time.

I agree. Sounds like over-rev and got some valve float, which caused coil bind.
Old 05-28-2006 | 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Red99C5
I agree. Sounds like over-rev and got some valve float, which caused coil bind.
but of course its the springs fault....

Andrew
Old 05-29-2006 | 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fotoboy

The odds of 6 spring failures at the same time He better buy a lotto ticket with that luck... Not the springs fault for sure...
Old 05-29-2006 | 02:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TJ
maybe the locks were installed incorrectly, or the valves hit the pistons and bent the valves, causing retainer deflection, or maybe it was overrevved and the valvetrain went nuts and so on.
i cant see bashing patriot for ONE spring failure(if it even was)
valvetrain set up incorrectly. the list goes on and on. when i break a spring, ill eat crow.
have a happy day.
It could have possibly been wrong installed height or over reving or retainer thicknes or wrong locks and resulted in coil bind in turn breaking the springs or any number of things. I have also used these springs and love them.
Old 05-29-2006 | 05:09 AM
TECH Addict

McDonalds sells billions of burgers, at an affordable price, it doesn't mean they are the best. It just means lots of people can afford to buy them. Again for those who can't read, I never said that Patriot products suck, I did say they aren't the best. I also said they are the best for the price. Check into your reading comprehension. I also watched my buddies motor blow using them so I do have experience with them.
We are all allowed to voice our own opinions. Gunnars opinion is the patriot brand is the best, my opinion is different, get over it.
The Big and Tasty meal hits the spot every once and a while in my book

Quick Reply: patriot performance LQ9 heads