Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking the bloody engine out the top now...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 07:50 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats just that much more work for me...then I need to get these ******* bolts back in! I am done with my car. Its getting towed tuesday cause I have reached my limit with it. I have put in countless hours with it since I started the H/C install...I give up.

Thanks for the help with all my questions over the past few months mega...I really appreciate it.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nah, don't give up, the torque arme isnt hard to do. The upper torque arm mount is 1 bolt (if I recall correctly) and two on the bottom then the arm will slide right out, and the transmission mount is four bolts, you leave it mounted to the trans, just unbolt it from the floor. You can leave the driveshaft in, you don't need to touch the rear end at all. Just keep with it! This step wont take long, it's a bitch, with my 4L60e it took me 4 1/2 hours to get that top bolt out of there, it's just one of those pain in the *** things that you have to buy 2 1/2 feet of extensions for lol.

But seriously, don't give it up yet, you went this far, dont let one bolt beat you.

Last edited by Ωmega; 05-27-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lithium
thats just that much more work for me...then I need to get these ******* bolts back in! I am done with my car. Its getting towed tuesday cause I have reached my limit with it. I have put in countless hours with it since I started the H/C install...I give up.

Thanks for the help with all my questions over the past few months mega...I really appreciate it.

How were you expecting to remove the transmission away from the motor without dropping the transmission crossmember?

Remove the 4 bolts holding the transmission crossmember to the floorboard, lower the transmission down with a jack some and it will give you better access to the single bolt holding the torque arm in place.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We've all been there ( well not all ), keep at it! Don't get it towed after all that work.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Viper
We've all been there ( well not all ), keep at it! Don't get it towed after all that work.
Yup...if it get's to hot for you, back away for an hour and come back and try again. That bolt is such a bitch...I actually left it out when I put my new trans back in.

Good Luck
Old 05-28-2006, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

I have pulled out 5 motors through the top with the hood always on and the tranny bolted to the motor. It is much easier to just pull the tranny out with the motor then trying to support the tranny and trying to get evrything lined back up and bolted on afterwards and for the torque arm I leave it bolted to the rearend and just unhook from the tailshaft housing.

Joe

2001 SS Convertible
Old 05-28-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

i dont get why anone would pull the motor without the trans? one you get the whole assembly out you justr hit the bolts with your impact an your done. its so much easier that way.
1. disconnect wiring
2. unbolt rear trans stuff
3. unbolt subframe and lift er up
4.done......................
you dont even have to unbolt the headers till its out its sooooomuch easier that way.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Launching!

So your saying you can pull the motor and tranny out the top with the headers installed still? Interesting, I'll keep that in mind....
Old 05-28-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

man i new people in the south were inbred but i thought if you could use a computer you could read!!!!!!!

STEP #3 "UNBLOT SUBFRAME"

"lift HER up" refers to the vehicle. i.e. lift the car up off the subframe......
Old 05-28-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

*shrug* I've had my car apart so many times that within 45 minutes of rolling the car in the shop, the transmission is laying on the floor. An hour later and the motor is out the top and sitting on the floor next to the transmission.

I've removed a motor out of the bottom once, it was more headache that I wish to deal with.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

i've never taken a 4th gen out the top, but what part is a headache? the 4 strut mount bolts? the brake lines, i guess maybe cuz you have to bleed em after? by the way when i said the south i didnt mean texas. texas rocks. just this one time i was in west virginia and i met this cute girl, well i started talking to her (she had most of her teeth too) and this guy got all pissed and was startin ****. turns out it was her brother and he had already called dibbs on her. ijust love being able to roll the whole motor and trans out of thway, you put a jack under the trans mount, and have a buddy hold the 2 strut mounts upright and roll her away.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The problem with taking it out from the top with the trans is that you have to get the car extremely high off the ground. I know my garage does not have the depth or height to be able to take both out from above. If you have access to a lift, it's a different story. A lot of people have taken in out from the top with out the tranny. I know I would do it that way.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:14 AM
TECH Resident

everyone doesnt have there own lift??????
Old 05-29-2006, 01:18 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn Kory! Fix your ******* car already!
Old 05-29-2006, 04:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Damn Kory! Fix your ******* car already!
x2!!

Originally Posted by leonpiper69
everyone doesnt have there own lift??????
A lift and a jack are two different things
Old 05-29-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

i know there dif. but i cant imagine working on a car without a lift, how can you change oil or do drakes or swap a trans , do a clutch, or anything? i guess you could still change plugs and wires, maybe. i should put up a poll , i bet almost everyone here has there own lift at there house.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

i took the motor out the top once . unbolted the trans then undid all the wireing at the pcm. fuel lines all the accessories . then took thoses pearches out of the way. i was scrapping the car and taking the whole power train . it deffenitly came out the top

^^^^^ my joke pic

and this is the car it came out of

thats right i took it out exactely with everything that is on it in that last pic
Old 05-29-2006, 01:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Honestly......there is no easier way to do this then out the bottom with the complete engine, trans, and crossmember. Nice to have a hoist but definatley not needed. Like the guy said in his earlier post.........jacks work just as well. I really wish the guys that swear by taking it out the top would just try out the bottom once. They would never go back to their old ways?! Traver

Last edited by ramairws6; 06-01-2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ramairws6
Honestly......there is no easier way to do this then out the bottom with the complete engine, trans, and crossmember. Nice to have a hoist but definatley not needed. Like the guy said in his ealier post.........jacks work just as well. I really wish the guys that swear by taking it out the top would just try out the bottom once. They would never go back to their old ways?! Traver
agreed i tryed the top once
Old 05-29-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

I've taken mine out the top many times, its not hard. Reason I take it out the top is I like the kmember to stay under the car so it still rolls around and stuff. Also I have motor plates now so that makes it easier.

On a side note : Its easier to take the trans out with the motor IMO.