Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Collapsed lifter...??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Collapsed lifter...??

How do you know if you have a collapsed lifter or if they've gone bad and need to be replaced?!?

I just got done checking PTV clearance and can now push down on the push rods on both the intake and exhaust of the clyinder I was checking. I tried rotating the engine to see if that would somehow cure the pushrods from being able to be pushed down on. Nope, they can still be pushed down as if they were on a spring. I also tried installing and uninstalling a few rocker arms on other cylinders thinking that the same thing would happen. They're still hard as a rock and can't be pushed down.

Are these two lifters screwed since I can push down on them? None of the other lifters have any play.

Please help!
Old 05-29-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

No they are just still pumped up with oil.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

The two lifters that I can push down on are just pumped up with oil? What do you mean by that? They're perfectly fine to use then?
Old 05-30-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, the ones you can push down have bled all their oil. The ones you cant push on are still full of oil. Once the motor runs again, the empty lifters will pump back up. This is normal, as some lifters will have the lifter fill hole aligned with the oil gallery and will be allowed to drain, while others will be sealed against the lifter bore.