Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This might be a dumb question but...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This might be a dumb question but...

is there cams out there that are small to middle range cam that lopes like lets say a MS3 (or big cam?) The reason i ask is because i love the lope sound of the MS3 but i dont want to put a cam that big into my daily driver, i dont want to deal with the surgeing (i know its all in the tune but i just dont want to worry about it) also i dont want to worry about turning on or off my Air conditioning. BTW i would search this but i dont even know how i would put it in the search bar?
Old 05-30-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well a smaller cam with an lsa of say 112 or lower will be lopey. you could get one with a low lsa and then lower your idle a little. it will be what you are looking for i think.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smokey1226
is there cams out there that are small to middle range cam that lopes like lets say a MS3 (or big cam?) The reason i ask is because i love the lope sound of the MS3 but i dont want to put a cam that big into my daily driver, i dont want to deal with the surgeing (i know its all in the tune but i just dont want to worry about it) also i dont want to worry about turning on or off my Air conditioning. BTW i would search this but i dont even know how i would put it in the search bar?
A good tuner can make a smaller cam lope on request.
They would basically do the fine tuning required to reduce misfires, smooth out the idle speed controls, and correctly time spark to the burn-rate in the chambers....
.... but in reverse.

If you can convince a competent tuner to do this, then you'll have exactly what you want.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:37 PM
Launching!

i was just looking on Ls1sounds and i found one that i want mine to be just like its a Comp Cam 230/232 0.591/0.595 lsa112+2

Is that cam small enough that its still going to give me good mpg and no surgeing? Also what does the "+2" mean on the lsa?
Old 05-30-2006, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

What is small to you? A 230/232 with that lift is not a small cam.

I was thinking more along the lines of a 224 or lower cam. You won't have to worry about surging if you get a good tune.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cali SS
What is small to you? A 230/232 with that lift is not a small cam.

I was thinking more along the lines of a 224 or lower cam. You won't have to worry about surging if you get a good tune.
Well i didnt want anything above 235, because that would be massive. I figure this way i get a nice sized cam and dont have to worry about the surging that comes with a cam the size of a 240 or so.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive noticed a huge difference in how hard a car lopes based on exhaust. My car has duals out the back with magnaflow mufflers and its fairly tame. My cam dosnt lope all that hard. My buddy has the same cam in his car with a loudmouth and it sounds like a dragster. I decided on installing some cutouts and now I can go from what sounds like a baby cam to what sounds like a monster at the flip of a switch...

As it is, the f13 i had, and the torquer 2 I now have can be a bit of a bear to daily drive... Going bigger would only make matters worse. I say open up the exhaust to bring out the lope in an otherwise smaller cam.

Last edited by GuitsBoy; 05-30-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Ive noticed a huge difference in how hard a car lopes based on exhaust. My car has duals out the back with magnaflow mufflers and its fairly tame. My cam dosnt lope all that hard. My buddy has the same cam in his car with a loudmouth and it sounds like a dragster. I decided on installing some cutouts and now I can go from what sounds like a baby cam to what sounds like a monster at the flip of a switch...

As it is, the f13 i had, and the torquer 2 I now have can be a bit of a bear to daily drive... Going bigger would only make matters worse. I say open up the exhaust to bring out the lope in an otherwise smaller cam.
by bear to daily drive, what do you mean? Also is your car Auto or M6? Also was either of your cams tuned?
Old 05-30-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smokey1226
by bear to daily drive, what do you mean? Also is your car Auto or M6? Also was either of your cams tuned?
Whoops, didnt post my sig. Anyway, M6, and yes both my cams were tuned myself, now having said that, Ive tuned and contributed to many tunes locally and also contributed advice on the boards. Im not brand new to tuning. Infact professional tuners and dyno operators have commented on how well the car drives. Not trying to toot my own horn too much, as theres plenty i still have to leavrn, but after the effort ive put in on my car over the last 2.5 years, i dont think a pro tuner would be able to dial it in much more accurately, and certainly not in the course of a couple hours.

Now as far as describing it as a bear to drive, perhaps thats a bit harsh. Ill copy what I wrote in another thread:
Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Im fairly young at 25, and every waking moment is spent thinking about horsepower, so im willing to sacrafice drivability a little bit, but since i dont have alternate means of transportation, this one car must handle many tasks. It has to get me to work 3 days a week (the other two days the lady i carpool with drives), it has to be drivable enough that i can pickup friends and family and drive out to dinner without it being too embarassing. As it is, the bucking at low rpms is quite annoying and embarassing, however you can sort of learn to drive around it. Thats my main concern is the bucking, other than that the car is great. Bringing the compression back up has boosted the low end torque. Add enough timing at idle and right off idle and you can let the clutch out at 1000 rpm easily. However coasting and driving through traffic or at low speeds in a parking lot still prove troublesome. I find that I have to keep telling myself its a race car, drive it assertively, otherwise itll just sound like the car's broken. If youve driven old 60s or 70s muscle, youll have no problem, but if you want your car to be as refined as an audi or acura, it aint gonna happen.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:34 PM
Launching!

thanks for the help again, i totally know where your coming from with not wanting any surging or bucking as some say. For anyone who isnt a car guy/girl they look at you like your car is a POS. So i guess my final question is what do you recommend? A smaller cam or what? Also if i was to go with a small-medium cam what exhaust do you feel is better for a noiser lope?