Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Polishing ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wire wheel not remove metal? thats funny **** right there. sounds like too much wire wheel work has removed someones brain cells.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:17 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steel Chicken
wire wheel not remove metal? thats funny **** right there. sounds like too much wire wheel work has removed someones brain cells.
I have been working with metal for almost 20 years and I can tell you that SOME wire wheels will not remove any -significant- amount of metal. I have a FINE wire wheel on my bench grinder right now that will basically polish aluminum and it cleans steel up nicely. That being said, on something like a cam lobe, it would make me nervous to use any power tool to remove that rust. If it can't be removed by hand with either a rag and WD40 or penetrating oil, or even 1000 grit wet sanding, then I'd be looking to send it back.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

If you change the shape of the lobe by more then .0005" you could screw it up.

If the rust doesn't come off, I'll do you a favor and re-grind it for the shipping cost. I normally don't do things for free, but I don't like seeing people get screwed.

Here's a list of my LS1/6 custom profiles
www.jonescams.com
Old 06-08-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1fastWS6
I have been working with metal for almost 20 years and I can tell you that SOME wire wheels will not remove any -significant- amount of metal. I have a FINE wire wheel on my bench grinder right now that will basically polish aluminum and it cleans steel up nicely. That being said, on something like a cam lobe, it would make me nervous to use any power tool to remove that rust. If it can't be removed by hand with either a rag and WD40 or penetrating oil, or even 1000 grit wet sanding, then I'd be looking to send it back.
of course, there are always exceptions to the rule. im not talking about removing huge chunks of metal off, im talking about someone saying it wont remove any metal off at all period....now he might say hes never had a problem, but im willing to bet a cam thats been heavily wire-wheeled will not last as long as one that hasn't been.

anything that causes grooves or uneven surfaces to form on that cam will cause problems eventually.

my response earlier was meant to reflect on someones idea that "omg wire wheel wont take any metal off the cam lobes nooobs!".... I was more responding to someones attitude than anything else.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Camking. I will be in touch if this thing does not clean up. Hopefully soaking it in PB Blaster for a few hours will do the trick.
Originally Posted by CamKing
If you change the shape of the lobe by more then .0005" you could screw it up.

If the rust doesn't come off, I'll do you a favor and re-grind it for the shipping cost. I normally don't do things for free, but I don't like seeing people get screwed.

Here's a list of my LS1/6 custom profiles
www.jonescams.com
Old 06-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheelzee99
Hey boss with the rusty cam. Hit this thing on a bench style wire wheel. Inspect the lobes to see if material has good size pits.If not run the thing.These cores are plenty hard.If the journals dont clean up, I would run it to a local machine shop with a crank polisher or lathe and spin it. You could also try using scotch bright on the lobes as well. Roller camshafts dont wear unless the core is borderline soft. Then the rollers start to dig in. I see alot of posts here were guys shy away from used cams and say it has this amount of miles. New or used if it has good lobes it'll run. If not sent me all those old bones! I'll grind um

After a comment like this, you should be banned from here for life.

You are an idiot.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Look forget the WIRE WHEEL idea, soak that thing in some wd-40 or some fuel or card cleaner, wipe it down with a rag and see what comes loose and what sticks, then take it to a shop if it needs more work.....
Old 07-13-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

Just thought I would give you guys an update on this situation. I tried to clean it up with PB Blaster, even let it soak for a good 4-5 hours and it did not really help, it is rusted to deep. I received an email back from Thunder Racing and after they saw the pics they advised it would most likely have to be reground.

I have 2 questions. Should I just purchase a new cam and be done with this? Or should I have it reground. If so how much does it cost to regrind a cam? **** like this makes me think I should have just bought the 03 Cobra I originally wanted.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by big reg
**** like this makes me think I should have just bought the 03 Cobra I originally wanted.
Then you'd have to regrind of replace 4 cams!
Old 07-13-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its under 200, just regrind the cam. You will need a longer pushrod, since the base circle will be a touch smaller
Old 07-13-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

How well do regrinds usually work out assuming the use of a longer pushrod? I imagion you could regrind a cam to the same or lower duration, but not more?
Old 07-13-2006, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take it to your local machine shop and have them put it in the crank polisher with a "soft" belt, and let it rip. It won't eat material and will give you a micropolished finish just like a crank.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

Good point. I just about **** myself after reading that. Definately made me laugh about the situation.
Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Then you'd have to regrind of replace 4 cams!
Old 07-14-2006, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by big reg
Just thought I would give you guys an update on this situation. I tried to clean it up with PB Blaster, even let it soak for a good 4-5 hours and it did not really help, it is rusted to deep. I received an email back from Thunder Racing and after they saw the pics they advised it would most likely have to be reground.

I have 2 questions. Should I just purchase a new cam and be done with this? Or should I have it reground. If so how much does it cost to regrind a cam? **** like this makes me think I should have just bought the 03 Cobra I originally wanted.
You should be able to have it reground to the same specs without changing the base circle by more then .010". This would only change the optimum pushrod length by .005", so you shouldn't need new pushrods.
You can have the cam reground to different specs(bigger or smaller), but that may require a different pushrod length.
If you want I can regrind it when I'm doing a run of LS1 cams.

If you didn't want to change the pushrods, I could grind it to:
230/235 .578"/.600" 114lsa

If you don't mind changing the pushrod, I could grind it to:
230/235 .612"/.600" 114lsa
or
235/239 .600"/.580" 114lsa.

Last edited by CamKing; 07-14-2006 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Have you contacted the guy you bought it from? Since his shitty packaging job wrecked the cam he should at least contribute some dough to making it right. Guy had to know the thing was messed up when he sold it to you.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Zedder
Have you contacted the guy you bought it from? Since his shitty packaging job wrecked the cam he should at least contribute some dough to making it right. Guy had to know the thing was messed up when he sold it to you.
That's what I'd like to know. It didnt rust that bad in the 3-4 days it was in transit.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You know, when I sell something I normally clean it up so it looks as good as it can when the buyer gets it. The seller could have cleaned it up for free. He obviously had the attitude that he has the money now and its your problem.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
PB blaster is great stuff. Ive seen it at pepboys, but cant find it at autozone. Its hit or miss, and nobody knows what youre talking about when you ask for it...
Thats funny that you say that. I went to a hardware store and asked for that stuff, and the guy told me that they didn't carry it. I looked on the shelf that was 5 feet from us, and there it was sitting on the top shelf. I took it off the shelf and the guy asked me if he could see the can so he knew what it was.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How about, forget screwing around with the cam and get your money back?
So it was a toss up between a used camshaft and an 03 Cobra? ...you definitely made the more economical choice
Old 02-25-2010, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

use pb blaster.. i use it alot for old rusted nuts well anyways good luck getting it off

Quick Reply: Cam Polishing ???