Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp 921's and Patriot Gold's What's the difference

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006 | 10:49 AM
On The Tree

i am new to this and i went by what they said and what i saw and the fact of buying a new engine is not an option right now. the funniest thing is i had also purchased another set of patriots but when i saw the spring i decided to go with what they were telling me. only becuase they told me before i just assume they know what there talking about because to be honest those 921 are really expensive i didn't want to do it but it seemed right.

Last edited by bobby1; 06-13-2006 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-13-2006 | 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

The only major difference I saw was that comp 921s are quieter than patriot. both are excellent springs. I have patriot golds now that came with the AFR heads.

BTW, if you broke a patriot spring that means the springs werent warmed up to normal temps before going hard or WOT or were instaled improperly.. thats the only way to break the Golds.

Last edited by eamador11; 06-13-2006 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-13-2006 | 11:13 AM
On The Tree

how do you warm the car up not to race to like go the store i just do if for a 30 or 40 seconds once the idle is steady i take off
Old 06-13-2006 | 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

^You should let your car warm up more than that. It has to be almost to full opertaing temp. The springs HAVE to be warm otherwise they will be brittle and possibly break. Let it warm up a good 4-5 mins before taking off.
Old 06-13-2006 | 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bobby1
how do you warm the car up not to race to like go the store i just do if for a 30 or 40 seconds once the idle is steady i take off
you want to be at 180deg engine temp or 150 oil temp before nailing it. duals springs are brittle when cold.

in your case, you want to shift below 2k until you reach normal temps. I let mine idle till 100 deg then i leave but drive like grandma until normal temps.
Old 06-13-2006 | 12:00 PM
On The Tree

ok thanks for the imput the only i didn't let it warm up more is because i have dual cutouts and i wake up at 545 in the morning to go to the gym just hate having the car idling so long its on a 110 lsa
Old 06-13-2006 | 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Gunnar@Patriot
If you have had an issue with any of our products, please contact us.

Thanks to everyone who has supported our products in this thread. Our spring is the best on the market. It is made of the best material available. The success of this spring has prompted many of our competitors to use this same spring. We take this as testimony as to the quality of this product. In many cases, parts that cost more are not always better. Many companies have layers on layers of corporate levels that must be paid. A lot of these companies are well established and have branded their name very well over the years. For these reasons, it is possible that in some cases customers are not paying for the best product, but great branding.

Gunner at Patriot is such an awesome person to deal with! I've talked with him on the phone and was very impressed and I'm even more impressed with this courtesy on these Web Boards. Super friendly, helpful, knowledgable and on & on....

I guess for my own good and understanding I'd like to wrap up this thread with a summary then some follow up, hopefully. I've read through the posts and I have concluded that there not any major issues with the Patriot golds or the Comps. Yes there are some isolated cases of Patriot failures and I'm sure there are Comp 921 isolated cases of failure as well that didn't get posted, afterall, there have only been 25 posts. I'm looking for the best spring for my engine based on a the Comp XE-R 238/240 .604/.609 camshaft spinning the engine to 6500 rpm with big valves in the heads. I just want know if I'm going to run into valve float issues being that the Patriots are a little softer. I'm impressed with the customer service aspect of Patriot. Also since reliability at lower temperatures is a problematic issue for ALL springs what do the manufacturers recommend for warm up? What about driving the car in the winter when temperatures in Ohio can dip into the single digits?
Old 06-13-2006 | 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

As for warmup, you really need to wait for oil temp to get to full operating temperature. This happens much slower than water temp. I usually keep it to normal 2.5K shifts until full water temp is reached. I then feel its okay to bring it up to 4K or so for passing. I wont bring it up to redline until the car has been at full temp for 10 minutes. Some will argue that because the spring is right above the cyliner heads and thus right above the fire the springs heatup fairly quickly, but better safe than sorry.
Old 06-13-2006 | 11:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Some will argue that because the spring is right above the cyliner heads and thus right above the fire the springs heatup fairly quickly, but better safe than sorry.
I would be one to argue that point. The spings heat up very quickly, but to each thier own.