Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP MS4 cam and LS6 springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 10:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
The rockers I'm looking at (slp whatevers) are made by the same people that make the stock ones. And from what I'm reading (I also have an LS1/LS6 performance book) the stock cam is well within the limits or the 1.85:1 rockers.

Lift is increased from .497 to .541 inches.
In all honestly the LS6 springs will supposedly hold a stock cam with 1.85 ratio rockers.

I wouldn't risk it, though. Valvesprings are very inexpensive as far as car modifcations go and to me (and most others here) it is well worth the slightly elevated price to make absolutely sure the springs will not fail.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hennytime
for one, the ls6 springs are designed to take a limit of .560 lift, with very lazy lobes, and if im not mistaken the ramp rates increase as you go from 1.7 to 1.8 or 1.85. i would go with a proven aftermarket camdual springs if the lift calls for it pushrods, new rockers ol pump and little things
Yeah maybe this book is crap.

All the "blue" ls6 springs on ebay are listed at .600 lift and this book lists them at .600 as well.

The cam guide tells me .540 for blue ls6 springs. I trust you guys first.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

But I'm not trying to get the most for the least money. lol. I wanna see what I can get before I go with the expensive cam, valvetrain, and porting. haha
Old 06-17-2006, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

A cam swap isn't very expensive for what it can get you.

My swap, which consisted of all parts (including optional oil pump and timing chain), some tools (such as valve spring tool) and dyno tuning was about $1,500 and I picked up 4.5mph and 0.4 immediately. Adding an LS6 intake and pulley netted another 0.3.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to be rude, but this has got to be a joke, right? When choosing a cam, there are so many factors you have to consider. You cant just say, "hey, Id like an extra 80 HP, so this looks like the cam for me." The fact that youre considering running ls6 springs leads me to believe you dont have any experience with cams, and you may not fully understand how a monster cam like the MS4 will affect drivability.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Not to be rude, but this has got to be a joke, right? When choosing a cam, there are so many factors you have to consider. You cant just say, "hey, Id like an extra 80 HP, so this looks like the cam for me." The fact that youre considering running ls6 springs leads me to believe you dont have any experience with cams, and you may not fully understand how a monster cam like the MS4 will affect drivability.
Have you read the rest of the thread before replying? Might want too.

There seems to be an echo.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
Have you read the rest of the thread before replying? Might want too.

There seems to be an echo.
I skimmed across it. Since when is it a bad thing to get multiple sources all warning you of the same thing. IMO id rather have a dozen people saying the same thing than a dozen different opinions all going in different directions.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
I skimmed across it. Since when is it a bad thing to get multiple sources all warning you of the same thing. IMO id rather have a dozen people saying the same thing than a dozen different opinions all going in different directions.
Which is why I posted the question.

Bolt-ons I figure out pretty easily. Headers, pulleys, and intake.

I've printed out the cam guide and I'm discussing it with the local guys to see which is the best direction for me.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:37 PM
10 Second Club

Well I think it's been made clear that the LS6 springs aren't gonna be up to par for any cam of worthwhile size, so that's been laid to rest...

Everyone on here has been pointing you in the right direction thus far. I have been in the LS1 game for years, have had two LS1 cars, the previous one was cammed and sprayed. Even after all the reading, researching, conversations, and reviews of different cams and setups, I still find myself reading and asking more before ordering up the new bumpstick for my current ride. I am getting close to pulling the trigger, and have been getting feedback from people running the actual cam I am considering.

What I am getting at through all this rambling is that you should do a TON of reading, and it would be very helpful if you could ride in some cars with cams in them, to give you an idea of how they react and effect the way the car has to be driven. With the current knowledge of cams you have now, I would suggest NO bigger that a 224 duration, and even that is bigger than some people want after understanding more about cams.

Good luck and remember that there are alot of extremely knowledgeable people on here willing to help direct you in the right direction.