Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will the cops care or even know?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 10:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will the cops care or even know?!

Well I found a 1998 Z28 that's getting a rebuilt engine and I have the choice of putting a cam and/or headers on it. It already has ported and polished heads and a ZO6 manifold. I think I'm going to go with a hot cam and long tube headers... I know a place where I can get it smogged at but I don't know if cops would give me a hard time when they hear it? Anyone else have a set up like this in cali?
Old 06-18-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

LT's will definitely not pass in CA. The cam will with proper tuning, but relocating the cats like the LT's do will certainly cause you to fail the visual. Might want to post up in the Western Section to see what the CA people say. Just an FYI though, I've heard of people passing Cali smog with a TR224 cam on a 114 LSA. It can be done with the right tuning (read: tuning it lean as sh*t).
Old 06-18-2006, 11:58 PM
FormerVendor

I know someone who can pass me. My question is, if I get pulled over by a cop or a cop pulls up next to me, do you think he can tell that my car wouldn't pass smog?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The only way someone can tell is by either putting a sniffer up to it or by looking under the car and seeing the LT's. I guess it is feasible for a cop to check up under the car, but you never know what kind of cop you're gonna get.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:44 AM
FormerVendor

Yeah, that's true. It also has the EGR Delete but I don't think he would know what to look for... I don't think the cop would be and *** if I wasn't an ***. Well, lets hope for the best!
Old 06-19-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by toofazt
I know someone who can pass me. My question is, if I get pulled over by a cop or a cop pulls up next to me, do you think he can tell that my car wouldn't pass smog?
no not really, but if anyone ever found out your buddy would be in pretty big trouble.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

run a quiet *** muffler and an electric cut out. that way if you see a cop you can close it and be quiet I don't think a hotcam on a stock muffler would be much louder than stock, and the muffler would probably "soak" up alot of the cammed lope sound.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

installing a cam will make it alittle louder, but to someone who doesn't know any better (a cop for example) probably wouldn't notice if you keep it running through a stock Z28 muffler.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

It depends where you live. If you live someplace where cops have nothing better to do than enforce smog laws, you might get caught. Around here we'll just give you a thumbs up.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lump is noticeable, but you can tune some of that out with a higher idle. I have the Hotcam with LTs, ORY, and the Hooker catback, which is supposed to be one of the quietest. Guess what, its not, its loud.

If you do get pulled over and the cop doesn't know any better, with the car rumbling and the SES light on, tell him its been running like crap and you need to take it to the dealer. But remember, CA cops are getting educated on what to look for.

ArcticZ28 gave you some great advice too: search the Western Forum.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

My hotcam and longtubes was loud... drew a ton of attention, idled like an angry skunk... most people look at newer cars when they sound like "old muscle cars", cops here aren't stupid... Especially with their campaign to bust people like us, thinkin we'll get away with it. They can pull you over and give you a fix it ticket at their disgression, we have to take it to the CHP to make sure it is "street-worthy", where they then do a full inspection on the vehicle, and we get jacked. I'm selling my LT's and hot cam, guarantee you that... I have my custom biult rear-mount turbo, don't need those parts anyway... I'm going with the LS6 cam or comparable to even the idle out. Won't pass smog, but at least a cop isn't gonna come after me for a radical idle...