Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel Horsepower Gains out of Roller Rockers???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006 | 06:56 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by redtail2426
if you have a halfway decent spring then you wont have any problems.
Not to mention good retainers.
Old 06-22-2006 | 06:56 PM
10 Second Club

I just copied the quote and would like to find how they got their numbers. I guess the key word is "up to" 20hp I guess.
Old 06-22-2006 | 06:58 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

WEll it might be 20fwhp. And not 20rwhp. That is my thinking. that is why you are seeing the avg. post say " Ehh, about 5-10 if you are lucky."
Old 06-22-2006 | 07:04 PM
10 Second Club

Maybe ill buy a set and do a "pre" and "post" dyno with nothing different but the rockers. That would be interesting. After reading about the bearings takin a crap and my car having 99K miles on the stockers, it might be a good investment.
Old 06-22-2006 | 07:19 PM
On The Tree

if you do the pre and post dyni please let me know how that turns out. or even if you get them installed please let me know because in the next few weeks i amgoing to some also and don't know which kind to go with
Old 06-22-2006 | 07:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by n2o junkee
if you do the pre and post dyni please let me know how that turns out. or even if you get them installed please let me know because in the next few weeks i amgoing to some also and don't know which kind to go with
Thats cool, The ones I quoted above, says a direct fit with no modifications. Although I have not searched alot on rockers and dont know which ones are proven good or bad, ill make some phone calls and search among LS1TECH here to see if I can find some results on which rockers NOT to go with.
Old 06-22-2006 | 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by n2o junkee
Like I posted earlier, we installed the H/S 1.7's and Patriot gold spring kit on a stock '03 Z06 and saw no change in HP/TQ on a Dyno Dynamics dyno.

I am waiting for the Crane 144833 spring to become available so I can install the Crane 1.8's. I'll post when results are available.
Old 06-23-2006 | 12:35 AM
Teching In

Default Roller Rockers

would you not want to not just replace the rockers ?

In general you would be doing a cam swap as well improving on the lame factory cams specs.
Rockers alone on a well tuned combination usually adds 18-25 horsepower
Shaft rockers im sure add more thru valvetrain stability .

I would think by now that someone would make a reasonable shaft setup for a LS1 that bolts on with no valvecover issues or very little grinding.
From what ive seen the engine would respond well to increased rocker ratio.

TI
Old 06-23-2006 | 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am thinking of doing a Hot Cam install with LS6 valvesprings. You guys think the 1.85/1.8 RR from SLP would help me?

Also don't you have to get better lifters?

I don't want anything too radical and haven't fully decided on the Hot Cam.
Old 06-23-2006 | 05:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
Like I posted earlier, we installed the H/S 1.7's and Patriot gold spring kit on a stock '03 Z06 and saw no change in HP/TQ on a Dyno Dynamics dyno.

I am waiting for the Crane 144833 spring to become available so I can install the Crane 1.8's. I'll post when results are available.
The Crane springs are available now, Vinci has them. The 918's also seem to work well with these rockers, for some reason they don't like the Patriot springs. Also, if you are interested and I don't want to divert this thread, I have a brand new Crane 1.8 "kit" for sale that includes the rockers, nuts/jam nuts, guide plates, studs and pushrods (stock height setup). Note that the pushrods required are 7.25" for the stock setup and Crane rockers, not 7.4".

One other note for waterbug1999, the $399 kit mentioned above is rockers, adjusting nuts and jam nuts only, doesn't include all the parts necessary for installation so be careful with that purchase that you understand what is required.
Old 06-23-2006 | 07:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vettenuts
The Crane springs are available now, Vinci has them.
You are correct, there are some available now. However, For reasons I can't publish I'm waiting for the next production run of the 833's that are due in July.
Old 06-23-2006 | 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

You are correct, there are some available now. However, For reasons I can't publish I'm waiting for the next production run of the 833's that are due in July.
Why can't you publish? Are the first sets defective? Do you know they will be defective?

Why wouldn't you buy them now? Sounds fishy to me unless your getting a killer inside deal.
Old 06-23-2006 | 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

The 144833-16 springs have been available for about 2 months. We have taken extraordinary steps to assure very high quality with these springs. In addition to being made from super clean, extra high tensile chrome-silicon valve spring wire, the wire is tested before coiling and these pieces have been 100% magnaflux inspected after coiling! They use the same retainers and spring seats as our 144832's. The improved wire and harmonic design make these an extremely good choice for hydraulic and solid applications up to 7000RPM. Some lobe grinds will work with this spring beyond 7300. The dual design and 100% magnaflux, after coiling, assure reliability.

At a standard 1.800" installed height, the 144833-16 springs set up at 137#. Installing our 144460-16 spring seat locator (that is .055" thick) will raise the seat pressure to 157#. These springs can safely be run to a compressed height of 1.130".

There has never been a reliability issue with these springs. There were 12 preproduction sets that were made in February, but these were never sold), where we noticed that the inner spring hit coil bind approximately .010" before the outer spring. This is not desireable since it appears the spring is OK even when the inner is bound. We added less than one "dead"coil on the outer spring so that it would coil bind before the inner (just to help prevent customer error). The "dead coil has no affect on rate, performance or harmonics. That is absolutely the only change that was made from the original computer design of the spring.
Production delays occurred only on the availability of the wire diameter of XHT Chrome Sil that we wanted to use. Now that there are only two major manufacturers of super clean XHT valve spring wire in the world, delays sometimes occur.

There is no production scheduled for July as we currently have tens of thousands of these springs in stock. If there are other issues with the development and production of these springs, please let me know as I am supposed to be in charge of the project!

Hope this clarifies some points. If you have any questions on these springs or our line of LSx products please feel free to email me. Thanks for your business!

Mark Campbell
VP, R&D, Crane Cams Inc.
mcampbell@cranecams.com
Old 06-23-2006 | 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mark Campbell
There is no production scheduled for July as we currently have tens of thousands of these springs in stock. If there are other issues with the development and production of these springs, please let me know as I am supposed to be in charge of the project!

Mark Campbell
VP, R&D, Crane Cams Inc.
mcampbell@cranecams.com
Mark,

Appreciate the information and never stated there was problem. I made a simple statement that was based on information that came from an individual at Crane. I will not name names in a public forum as I do not want to start any public 'he said, she said' flame wars.

Thanks for great products and if you would like to discuss offline feel free to shoot me an email. aaronanderson@mac.com
Old 06-23-2006 | 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
I read this from your website (what manufacturer claims) "Crane Cams Gold-Race, full-roller aluminum rockers for the LS1/LS6 engine family add up to 20 horsepower over stock!" $399.88

Is that true? Any dyno thread to back this up? If its true, ill get a set. 20 ponys for 400 bucks is awsome.
The new Popular Hot Rodding Magazine has a little article about those rocker arms saying they actually give you 20RWHP. Ill will post the article later when I get home
Old 06-23-2006 | 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Reason being I think is due to the accelerated action which starts with a higher than advertised ratio effectively extending valve open duration and overlap.
Old 06-23-2006 | 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ringram
Reason being I think is due to the accelerated action which starts with a higher than advertised ratio effectively extending valve open duration and overlap.
The Vinci web site has a very good write-up on how the rockers work. When I did my new heads, I "considered" returning to the stock rockers but when I looked at the wipe pattern (much better with the Cranes) and the overall quality and installed side to side movement capability (Crane roller bearings had much less side motion compared to stock), the Cranes went back in again on the new heads. What I did do, was reduce my ratio from 1.8 to 1.7 because of the larger valves in the new heads. The 1.8's are currently in "standby reserve" if I need them later.
Old 06-23-2006 | 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by vettenuts
The Crane springs are available now, Vinci has them. The 918's also seem to work well with these rockers, for some reason they don't like the Patriot springs. Also, if you are interested and I don't want to divert this thread, I have a brand new Crane 1.8 "kit" for sale that includes the rockers, nuts/jam nuts, guide plates, studs and pushrods (stock height setup). Note that the pushrods required are 7.25" for the stock setup and Crane rockers, not 7.4".

One other note for waterbug1999, the $399 kit mentioned above is rockers, adjusting nuts and jam nuts only, doesn't include all the parts necessary for installation so be careful with that purchase that you understand what is required.
So, what all is needed then? Im a newb, when it comes to the rocker stuff.
Old 06-23-2006 | 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
So, what all is needed then? Im a newb, when it comes to the rocker stuff.
For 1.8's, you need Crane part number 144759-16. This includes rocker arms, studs, guide plates, pushrods, and poly locks.

Vettenuts has a new set for sale at a good price.

I would also recommend the Crane 144832-16 springs if you don't already have upgraded springs.
Old 06-23-2006 | 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Except, Waterbug1999 is running a pretty stout cam, what is the number on it? (lift/duration). You may be exceeding the Dart spring capability, or have you already gone to different springs?

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Horsepower Gains out of Roller Rockers???